banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To those curious about "boutique" amps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To those curious about "boutique" amps...

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
    Save yourself the dough and just get a good example of the classics that the so-called boutique amps are based-on.
    Depends on what it's based upon. What does a Two Rock cost relative to a Dumble? Is a Victoria really more expensive than a clean vintage Twin? I doubt I could find a real Plexi for the price of a Germino.

Heck, even when it comes to "modded Marshalls",you could make a good argument that Soldano is more authentic than any Marshall 'cause they were doing that sound before anything like that was built in a Marshall factory.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

Save yourself the dough and just get a good example of the classics that the so-called boutique amps are based-on.

I won't say that the boutique amps don't deliver. Most of them do! And I won't say that I didn't love my Bogners (or VHT, or H&K, etc). Cause I did!

But this past week and a half with my new [to me] Marshall DSL50 has been quite a revelation to me. This beeotch sounds every bit as sweet, juicy, chewy, organic, roaring, etc as the Bogner XTC Classic that I sold a few months ago did. Yes, the Bogner had superior cleans, and MIGHT have had something in the low-end that the Marshall doesn't have. But honestly, this DSL sounds so sweet I don't miss the Bogner at all. And I could buy 3-4 DSLs for the price of the Bogner!

I spent several hours yesterday re-doing my pedal board, and wiring my TC G-System back into it as well. I've got the G-Sys switching channels on the Marshall, as well as giving me a volume boost on solo-lead patches. All-in-all I couldn't be happier with my rig right now!

BTW... I played through a bunch of older rock like ACDC, Def Leppard, and a bunch of "newer" rock like AIC and Collective Soul and the Marshall just slayed for all of it. Besides scooped-Mesa type metal and country or jazz... this Marshall will do anything that any of the boutique amps I've owned or played will. Add to that the fact that the classic Marshall roar/kerrang is often not exactly duplicated in supposedly much more "capable" amps. My Bogners had something of their own for sure (low mids). But the high-mid Marshall sound really does it for me like no other. At this point I'm not really drooling over other amps. Just at the possibility of getting a second DSL50 to have as a spare/stereo setup and all at a price that's half of the boutique amps.
      Glad you found what you want, but IMHO you're painting with way too broad a brush.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I do not have a problem with the way a DSL sounds, and it is great they fit your hands/ears so well.
        But I got to tell you.....I have worked on a few of those Multi-PCB, Ribbon Connector, Lead Dress nightmares, and they are not fun.
        I think THAT is where "boutique" amps excel. Take a Fender that Lupe assembled in 1963.....Rebuild it in 20012, and it will be great for another 50 years. In 50 years, every DSL ever made will have been E-Wasted.
        Best
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
          Glad you found what you want, but IMHO you're painting with way too broad a brush.
          Please give details regarding this statement. Most of my commentary was specific to my own tastes, experiences, requirements, etc.

And the rest was mainly aimed at guys who GAS for expensive amps and somehow think they are possibly being limited by their non-boutique gear, that may in fact be just fine. I know... because I used to think somewhat that way. And having been through expensive amps, I can say that for the vast majority of players out there, the middle-tier amps are every bit as capable as the boutique stuff.

Add to that the fact that many top-level, big name pros have been through the boutique amp brands and ended-up back where they started, with the household name brands. And in many cases that wasn't due to endorsement deals, sig models, etc. Many just did it because they play what they want to play and what they prefer.

At any rate... far be it from me to suggest that anyone not try, buy and enjoy boutique brands. But I did want to suggest that after all the money, tweaking, and time spent with them... they may find themselves back where they started. Just like I did...
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
            I do not have a problem with the way a DSL sounds, and it is great they fit your hands/ears so well.
            But I got to tell you.....I have worked on a few of those Multi-PCB, Ribbon Connector, Lead Dress nightmares, and they are not fun.
            I think THAT is where "boutique" amps excel. Take a Fender that Lupe assembled in 1963.....Rebuild it in 20012, and it will be great for another 50 years. In 50 years, every DSL ever made will have been E-Wasted.
            Best
            Could not agree more with you and stated as such. The build quality is definitely where most all boutique builders shine. NO question about that. My Bogners were NO doubt built much better than my factory DSL was. I haven't been inside it yet, but I was inside the Bogners often.

In regards to my personal definition of "boutique"... I'm talking about the high-brow brand names that have come to prominence this past two decades. Not vintage Marshalls and Fenders. Stock, "average" amps were built better back then. Well... like today's buotique amps are built. In some cases, even better.
            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Please give details regarding this statement. Most of my commentary was specific to my own tastes, experiences, requirements, etc.

And the rest was mainly aimed at guys who GAS for expensive amps and somehow think they are possibly being limited by their non-boutique gear, that may in fact be just fine. I know... because I used to think somewhat that way. And having been through expensive amps, I can say that for the vast majority of players out there, the middle-tier amps are every bit as capable as the boutique stuff.

Add to that the fact that many top-level, big name pros have been through the boutique amp brands and ended-up back where they started, with the household name brands. And in many cases that wasn't due to endorsement deals, sig models, etc. Many just did it because they play what they want to play and what they prefer.

At any rate... far be it from me to suggest that anyone not try, buy and enjoy boutique brands. But I did want to suggest that after all the money, tweaking, and time spent with them... they may find themselves back where they started. Just like I did...
              Well said! Isn't the only brush we paint with to form opinons our own anyways? If I used someone elses tone, I may hate it!
              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
              X