Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMP Shootout

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
    C'mon Joe! Put that Silver Jubilee up there!
    Here's the amps I currently own. Bogner 412 and 212 not pictured.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

My older Bogner Shiva 6L6 2x12 combo

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          Here's the amps I currently own. Bogner 412 and 212 not pictured.

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          Nice.
          VEDDY!

IMO, that Silver Jubilee is just as cool as the white chassis XTC. I don't remember if it's a 2550 or a 2555, but either way, you just don't see them in the original silver tolex that often and they sound freaking awesome. Probably one of, if not, the best sounding Marshalls from the last 20/30 years.
          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

What's the 3rd switch on that silver?

Comment

I think it's a ground lift, if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                What's the 3rd switch on that silver?
                I'm pretty sure GJ's Jubilee is a 2550, so I'm not 100% sure it's the same, but on my 2555 the third switch is a triode/half power mode that sounds like muddy poo.

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                I think it's a ground lift, if I remember right.
                The ground lift you're thinking of was present on US market handwired Marshalls prior to June 1973. The switch was removed when they moved to PCB construction. It's also a good way to tell what market an earlier amp was intended for (the UK / European ones had two switches).
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Whacky!

Comment

talk about bringing a gun to a knife fight..!

i love how toe-knee and marantz had pics and everything ready to post.
                    they'd been waiting for this day.

very nice amps gentlemen

Comment

I've not ho'd my stuff out in awhile, so....

Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                        VEDDY!

IMO, that Silver Jubilee is just as cool as the white chassis XTC. I don't remember if it's a 2550 or a 2555, but either way, you just don't see them in the original silver tolex that often and they sound freaking awesome. Probably one of, if not, the best sounding Marshalls from the last 20/30 years.
                        In 87, I begged, borrowed, and stole to get a brand new 100W Jubilee, which I used for a few years and stupidly sold for $650. That was probably around 92.

Around 2000, I found a mint Jubilee 50W fullsize stack out in the middle of the Mojave desert for $1400!!! That's the one I have, and it's decked out with great NOS pre tubes and JJ E-34L's. It truly is the best specimen of Jubilee I've heard. It gives up the gain without the need for an OD. I crank it with an Alesis Nanoverb in the loop, which allows me to tailor the input and output, as well as adding subtle or stadium reverb if I want it.

I consider the XTC to be more my sound....Twin, Plexi, roaring Marshall.
                        The Jubilee is more for the highgain JCM800 sound, which I love for soloing and riffing on, but the XTC is like the encylopedia of Marshall.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          It truly is the best specimen of Jubilee I've heard. It gives up the gain without the need for an OD. I crank it with an Alesis Nanoverb in the loop, which allows me to tailor the input and output, as well as adding subtle or stadium reverb if I want it.
                          Hey GJ maybe PM is the place for this but I was wondering if you leave the Nanoverb on, or if it has some sort of bypass switch? Also, do you mean that you can vary the reverb sound as you're playing through it? I absolutely agree on a Jubilee being the best JCM800 sound I've ever heard and I'd love to know how to unlock even more potential with it. I gave up on using anything in the loop years ago because my Jubilee always sounded better when I didn't use the loop.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Marshall JVM410H
                            Stock Tubes
                            Marshall 1960A and 1960B cabinets with Celestion G12T-75 speakers
                            Heavy Rock

Comment

nice!
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X