Looking to purchase an octave pedal...HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to purchase an octave pedal...HELP

All of my gig playing usually means plugging my acoustic straight into the mixer or when on electric, going into my RP1000 then out to the mixer into the PA. The band plays songs from the LemonHeads to Johnny Cash, Tom Petty to Beatles. I play mostly strum along keeping the background full. My personal taste in music goes back to YES and ELP along with RUSH and Dream Theater. Black Sabbath is in there but love the Beatles too. Eclectic is my favorite word.

My personal time, bedroom guitar playing involves all kinds of experimentation. My bedroom floor is covered in pedals and cables. I am intrigued by the Electro Harmonix POG 2. I know about the HOG but that is way over the top....maybe

Are there any others out there that I should look at? There is no budget but I need to be reasonable.

Re: Looking to purchase an octave pedal...HELP

My recommendation? If you have more than one guitar, string one up in Nashville tuning. When combined with a guitar in standard, it creates a really cool kind of 12-string effect that has a natural chorusing going on due to the intonation differences between guitars.

It adds a great chime to guitar parts for doubling or even solo strumming!

The electric parts after the intro are doubled standard/Nashville-tuned guitars ...

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 05-20-2012, 06:59 AM. Reason: Added SoundCloud link
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Be unreasonable an buy my Foxrox Octron II.

This is a paid advertisement approved by me.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Well...I read your post 3 times and I have no idea what you want.

What kind of octave do you want?

Up?

Down?

Both?

If up so you want those clean digital POG style octave up sounds or do you want the analog, fuzzy Hendrix sounds??

What is it for?
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

EXPERIMENTATION, having fun, just for the hell of it. I want flexibility and good tracking. Yes, up and down and together. The EHX HOG seems fun too but requires a few other EHX pedals to get full functionality, so the POG2 looked a little less formidable in usage.

Just wanted to find out if there are any other polyphonic octave pedals (chord and single note tracking required) out there by other manufactures that I should look at.
          Last edited by briggleman; 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by briggleman View Post
            EXPERIMENTATION, having fun, just for the hell of it. I want flexibility and good tracking. Yes, up and down and together. The EHX HOG seems fun too but requires a few other EHX pedals to get full functionality, so the POG2 looked a little less formidable in usage.

Just wanted to find out if there are any other polyphonic octave pedals (chord and single note tracking required) out there by other manufactures that I should look at.
            Since you want a standard octave up and you want it to be polyphonic EH is really about your only bet.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Since you want a standard octave up and you want it to be polyphonic EH is really about your only bet.
              Yep.
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
              X