banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a pretty nice Silverface Twin Reverb...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found a pretty nice Silverface Twin Reverb...

i sure as hell wouldnt give money for it thats for sure.

Comment

Totally wasn't expecting this amount of fervor along with my post! It's really great, however. It's pretty surprising to see this amount of distaste for what seems like an awesome amp. The amp doesn't seem like too much of a lost cause, but I don't think it's going to be worth the initial price tag of $685, plus what I'm going to have to put into it.

Still, it would be cool to start my vintage gear collection off right. I'll let you all know what I think of it when I bring my guitars down this weekend.

Thanks again for the help, guys!
      For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
      http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

Originally posted by serizawa View Post
        Totally wasn't expecting this amount of fervor along with my post! It's really great, however. It's pretty surprising to see this amount of distaste for what seems like an awesome amp. The amp doesn't seem like too much of a lost cause, but I don't think it's going to be worth the initial price tag of $685, plus what I'm going to have to put into it.

Still, it would be cool to start my vintage gear collection off right. I'll let you all know what I think of it when I bring my guitars down this weekend.

If that amp sounds good "to you",doesn't need filter caps and tubes,or any other maintenence work,would be worth maybe looking into? What matters really,is if you like the sound of the amp!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

It very well may! I come from an AC30 type background, so I like bright! But the thing about those amps is that there's an accompanying roundness, which I already know will be missing.

Still, I hope I enjoy it.

Comment

I used a 70's Twin for years and have nothing bad to say about it!
            Keep the master volume up full and don't pull that switch out.
            Keep the bright switch off...with a Tele plugged in and the
            bright switch on...you could hurt yourself!
            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

I say give it a chance...some of the UL Fenders have really surprised me...in a good way. They really need to be judged on an amp by amp basis.

The UL output configuration gets a bad rap that it really doesn't deserve...there were other (and greater) contributors to the non-inspiring tone of certain UL Fenders. The Twin doesn't have those other contributors by the way (such as "hybrid" bias...yuck!).

Edit: A couple of years ago I had an early 70's Marshall 50 watter come into the shop for a "return to original glory" treatment. Someone, quite a few tears ago had replaced the original OT with a UL Bassman OT...and it was wired UL too. I figured it would sound awful...I was wrong...sure it didn't have the sonic impact that the correct OT gave it when it left but the UL OT was warmer...more "Fender-like". It really did sound pretty darned good. At the end of the day, it left the shop ready to remove heads like it is supposed to.

Play it and let your ears decide.
              Last edited by glassman; 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM. Reason: Had to add a story
              Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by serizawa View Post

2 things....if the price was $6.85 then it'd be a deal and a 1980 Twin reverb is not vintage and is not a start to any good collection...

If you like the tone that's one thing but if you do like the tone you can get a late 70's MV/UL Twin Reverb for $400 or less ALL DAY LONG...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  2 things....if the price was $6.85 then it'd be a deal and a 1980 Twin reverb is not vintage and is not a start to any good collection...

If you like the tone that's one thing but if you do like the tone you can get a late 70's MV/UL Twin Reverb for $400 or less ALL DAY LONG...
                  Little harsh there bro. And yes, $685 is way outta line for that amp.
                  Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
                    Little harsh there bro. And yes, $685 is way outta line for that amp.
                    The only harsh thing in this thread in the Twin Reverb in question!

1980 Fender anything is really just a bad place to be in general...the amps were terrible the guitars were terrible...they were just in bad shape in the late 70's and early 80's...
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      The only harsh thing in this thread in the Twin Reverb in question!

1980 Fender anything is really just a bad place to be in general...the amps were terrible the guitars were terrible...they were just in bad shape in the late 70's and early 80's...
                      Can't disagree there any. It's mostly the main reason why I still have this 78 Bassman10 still just sitting here gathering dust. It could be an awesome amp, might be an awesome amp, but do I really want to make a major investment on a late 70's silverface bassman that I probably won't ever get near what I paid for it and put into it if I decide to sell it.
                      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Decided not to go in and pick it up. If it's being suggested that I could possibly pick up an even older model for less, I have to consider that statement seriously.

I will probably stop by and play it eventually, but not with the intention of picking it up. Thanks for looking out, guys!

Comment

Somewhere there is a player that needs/fits that amp. Do you really think you are that guy.?
                          Mike Zaite knows his way around UL Out Tranny's. CBS in 1980 not so much, other than to get more watts from the same number of tubes.
                          Generally speaking..... I think most players will be happier with a well maintained BF/SF Fender that breathes through a "normal" OT.
                          Best
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Working...
                          X