banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a tube amp...suggesitons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a tube amp...suggesitons?

I've been playing my Pro Jr. a lot lately (and goosing w/ TS-9), and really been in a pedal sort of mood. This got me thinking (never a good thing).

What might I consider in a mid wattage, lower cost tube amp? Some of my criteria:

- I play rock; Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Heavy Metal. I enjoy other styles, but that's 80% of it
    - I'd like something 20 watts min, to 40. Don't gig, but don't have anything at the moment to play if I did.
    - Price? Don't know. Let's keep it UNDER 500. Not opposed to used.
    - Features: fx loop, at least two channels
    - Good distoriton major plus, takes pedals well definitely.
    - Could care less about brand. Reverb preferred, but not necessary.

Let's discuss.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Thinking about a tube amp...suggesitons?

You want something new just because or is the PJ not working for you??

I ask because I gig with a 62 deluxe 95% of the time and even at 18 watts I never get it up too loud...I can't imagine trying to gig with a "big" amp again!

All that said if I wanted a 40ish watt under 5 bills I'd be looking at the Egnater Tweaker 40...the combo version can be had under $500 if you look hard if if you can go a tad higher you can just get one w/o looking too much or there is a head and cab but but under 5.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Im not a big fan of their less expensive stuff,but the ht20 fromblackstar sounds like it would fit your bill, though the cheaper blackstars are picky about pedals.

Finding a loop and two channels is very difficult at that price point.

Used fender hot rod deluxe with pedals.

Ampeg has some single channel amps with loop close to ypur price.

Most likely you will have to settle in one or more areas, or up your budget.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Used Budda Superdrive will cost a bit more but worth the wait for saving ...
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The requirements are not hard and fast - just some general considerations/guidelines.

And I'm just looking for something with a little more power and tone control than the Pro Jr. The Pro Jr. is absolutely awesome. Mostly more juice and felxibility.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Blackstar HT-20 fits your bill. You would love it.
            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
            Originally posted by CTN
            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Your amp requirements/preferences sound identical to mine. 2 channel, loop, high gain. I recommend the peavey xxx, you can get them used for $500, made in the USA! Blackstar ht20 is awful tempting, a little overpriced for what it is and where its made (china? korea?). The Carvin V3M is also worthy of consideration, 50 watts, light as a feather, and knobs and channels that will keep you busy tweaking for the rest of your life.

The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

Comment

Dude, based on your preferred genres of music and your pricepoint, this is a no-brainer (IMO) ...

Jet City JCA22h is $400 brand new...and tomorrow is last day for 15% off at MF.com. 2 channels (including the Soldano SLO circuit on ch 2), effects loop, 20 watts.
                Now that's just a head though. I'm thinking you have a cab already? If not, you could get one on the cheap I'm sure.

Comment

A second-hand Laney VC15 or VC30 maybe ? They have reverb and effects loops, great tone and overdrive facilities.

(sorry, I'm not familiar with US s/h gear prices but i suspect you could get these amps inside your budget limit).
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I just got a Vox VT40 Valvetronix for $265 at Guitarcenter on sale. It's a mix of solid state electronics with a tube also so it's low maintenence. You have to wait for it to heat up the tube a few secs when you turn it on.

It's 40W with presets that sound like Brown Sugar or Tie Your Mother Down or Cocaine etc etc etc.

Comment

Slightly more powerful (50W) than your spec but you might look out for a Yamaha T-50. Designed by Mike Soldano, it's similar in design to the SLO, but with separate tone and reverb controls for each channel.

The FX loop isn't the greatest (like most Soldano designed amps) but if you can find one, it's a great amp for the $$$.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

Ironically, if you asked this question 2 years ago you would have been told to buy a Bugera or laughed at completely.

My vote is, save/spend a little more cash and go fore a Fender SuperSonic 22.
                        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I'll also rec the blackstar ht20. I own one personally and I love it. I think it fits all your requirements and I found mine on ebay for $450 w/free shipping. It handles pedals really well both in the loop and in front of the amp. I loop my delay and chorus and have my OD and other distortion in front. I mainly use the gain channel for heavier stuff and it sounds awesome. I would absolutely get another if mine stopped working or was stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                            Ironically, if you asked this question 2 years ago you would have been told to buy a Bugera or laughed at completely.

My vote is, save/spend a little more cash and go fore a Fender SuperSonic 22.
                            +1

That amp kicks all kinds of ass.

Either that, or a Jet City JCA22H
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Used Traynor YCV20
                              -
                              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X