banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a tube amp...suggesitons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about a tube amp...suggesitons?

oooh Peavey XXX 40 watts!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      oooh Peavey XXX 40 watts!
      Remember me? Hell yeah, peavey xxx 40 watts! Real spring reverb tank, great effects loop, it is really hard to beat in this price range.

FYI- I've owned a hot rod deluxe, if you like metal even a little bit, that amp will make you cry (not in a good way). The HRD would require a distortion pedal for anything resembling a tight metal rhythm, but I assume you want metal gain right from the amp. I don't doubt that all of those upgrades would help the amp, but it is just so inappropriate for metal, why even spend all of that dough when there are plenty of metal amps out there that also clean up nicely?

Comment

Oh, and if you ever want to turn that combo into a head, not hard at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
          Remember me? Hell yeah, peavey xxx 40 watts! Real spring reverb tank, great effects loop, it is really hard to beat in this price range.

FYI- I've owned a hot rod deluxe, if you like metal even a little bit, that amp will make you cry (not in a good way). The HRD would require a distortion pedal for anything resembling a tight metal rhythm, but I assume you want metal gain right from the amp. I don't doubt that all of those upgrades would help the amp, but it is just so inappropriate for metal, why even spend all of that dough when there are plenty of metal amps out there that also clean up nicely?
          All apologies bro - almost missed that. I didn't think they came in 40....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like the Carvin Belair, the Blackstar HT20, and I also love the Egnater Tweakers.

obv the usual suspects like the HRD, Classic 30, yada yada.

I'd say try to make your way to a store and see which one(s) you like best and just scour out the best deals.

Comment

ACE!
              Splawn Street Rod!!!!!!!!!!
              Widow - "we have songs".
              Originally posted by Aceman
              Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

I love my Super Sonic 22, but I doubt you will find one below 500 yet. The Peavey Classic 30 has been around forever, and is a great little tube amp. The Marshall DSL 401 combo has a great clean sound and sounds great in overdrive, as long as you use pedals to drive it, and do not crank the gain on the amp too high.

Comment

Originally posted by John E Rokker View Post
                  ACE!
                  Splawn Street Rod!!!!!!!!!!
                  Please tell me where I can get one of these for under 500. I'll do it today.

Comment

If you can manage to get up just one more hundred, then The Marshall Haze is what you want.
                    Other Brand Amp owners hate to admit this, but besides possibly Mesa, when you walk in with a Marshall, owners of all other amplifers instantly get a terrible inferiority complex...their palying suffers, and they secretly want to be like you; A MArshall Player!;

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                      Another vote for Traynor. I have the YCV40 and it is very versatile. It can even be coaxed into doing metal with an OD pedal. You don't have to "save up a little" if you can find a used one.

Built like a tank by our Canadian brothers.
                      this...
                      Originally posted by jeremy
                      God hates bad guitar tone
                      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

If you're near VA I'll sell you my USA Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 for less than $500 so I can get an AC15

I have EL84 tube converters and nice EL84s too, which lowers the wattage to twenty something and gives it richer mids. I really like it running EL84s - I just like AC15s more.

Love,
                        Hunter
                        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Every person should own a Hot Rod Deluxe at some point in their lives.
                          Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                          I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                            If you can manage to get up just one more hundred, then The Marshall Haze is what you want.
                            Other Brand Amp owners hate to admit this, but besides possibly Mesa, when you walk in with a Marshall, owners of all other amplifers instantly get a terrible inferiority complex...their palying suffers, and they secretly want to be like you; A MArshall Player!;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Haz...item3f181acb4c
                            The Haze40 is like the British flavored Hot Rod Deluxe.

Both have 40W, a sweet normal channel, a decent but not mind blowing gain channel, reverb, and an fx loop.

Unfortunately they share the same problem: A sometimes boxy-sounding cab in need of a speaker upgrade. But they're certainly useable out of the box.

Lots of people seem to have problems with their Haze combos. You can look on the internet and find lots of complaints. A person in my family has one and now the output drops occasionally. I have yet to go over there and look at it (may just be crappy stock tubes).

It sounds great when it's working though!

Comment

Working...
                            X