Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoothest speaker

Originally posted by Hellion View Post
    I may get flamed for this, but Peavey Scorpions are some of the most consistent and best sounding speakers that I've ever heard. They'll handle insane amounts of power and at the end will go, "Is that all you've got, ya pussy?" Peavey sometimes comes under a bum rap, but in this case, I think Hartley did himself a credit.
    I'll take the bait. Scorpions are a poor mans EV..a VERY poor mans EV..
    a stinking smelly destitute street hobos EV.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
      Celestion Classic Lead 80
      WTH??;
      From Celestion:

"The Classic Lead is a fine example of the sonic characteristics of a loudspeaker evolving as new materials become available.

Revolutionary in the late ’70s, a fibreglass voice coil former - capable of withstanding very high temperatures - was used to give the Classic Lead a muscular 80W power handling. This also increased barrel stiffness, affecting the way the cone vibrated and influencing cone break up. Then, through experimentation with edge treatments and continued critical listening, some modes were encouraged while others were suppressed, contributing to the speaker’s unique sound.

Today, the Classic Lead is much-loved by lead guitarists for its speed, punch and articulation, with every note clearly defined on even big, distorted sounds.

The Classic Lead also sounds great clean, with that same articulation combining with high headroom to deliver a fluid, dynamic performance."

To the OP- Cannabis Rex. If you cut the mids on a V30, they also can be pretty creamy/smooth, depending on the amp.

The venerable Greenback also gets pretty smooth with the right EQ.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I can't believe nobody mentioned the g12-65 type/class of speakers.

I like the wgs et65 for smooth. Smooth highs, silghtly pulled back mids, and full lows.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
          I can't believe nobody mentioned the g12-65 type/class of speakers.

I like the wgs et65 for smooth. Smooth highs, silghtly pulled back mids, and full lows.
          Thats cause that speaker is not in the least possible way smooth. Its a clean /clear / biting speaker that can get a heavy edgy dirty and aggressive sound when pushed..thats why no one mentioned it.

Comment

i would normally say cannabis rex for a low wattage amp, but for dirty sounds and the kind of requirements you describe, the texas heat is prolly a better bet. Its not super efficient either, so it will give you some slight attenuation. It also fattens up the low end and smooths off the tops to give you a very ballsy overdriven tone. Its agressive, but not too hard edged like a swamp thing, vintage voiced but with plenty of muscle.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I really, really need to try a Swamp Thang.

Comment

i reckon it'd be perfect for a dual rec or something huge sounding like that.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  I think Les Strat's cousin is a "Swamp Thang." A right pretty young gal..lives in da swamp about 35 minutes South east of the bayou west of where Les Strat lives. Can only get there by swamp buggy, an if the 'skeeters ( thick as thieves) don't getcha first, then the Gators will..and her parents are mighty gaurded of her, but shes the pertiest little Cajun princess west of the Mighty Mississip, heard tell.

Comment

The Jensen Jet Falcon is super smooth & warm sounding... with sweet highs..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      I think Les Strat's cousin is a "Swamp Thang." A right pretty young gal..lives in da swamp about 35 minutes South east of the bayou west of where Les Strat lives. Can only get there by swamp buggy, an if the 'skeeters ( thick as thieves) don't getcha first, then the Gators will..and her parents are mighty gaurded of her, but shes the pertiest little Cajun princess west of the Mighty Mississip, heard tell.
                      That's a long way to go for a LesStrat joke. But you get an A for effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
                        Ascension, it is the 22h I have. I have heard that same advice in tubes and speakers before. What made the biggest impact or did you do it all at once? My wife is not thrilled with all of my GAS lately plus we got a vacation planned.

I will do all of these things but one at a time.
                        Best bang for the $ and biggest impact would be pick up a pair of power tubes and a Tung Sol for V-1. Those Chinese power tubes that come in these amps are just BAD. They sound thin and harsh, are notoriously unreliable and prone to red-plating without warning. The Shunghang Pre amp tubes are reliable and don't sound too bad but are just a little on the thin side in these amps tone wise. Running a Tung Sol in just the first slot or maybe the first 2 slots will warm the amp up a good bit. If you do nothing else to the amp dump those power tubes ASAP!
                        Here is my JCA22H with the Tung Sols TAD EL84's through the Blackstar 1/12 with the 70/Eighty

This is the rig live at my Church using my 07 PRS custom 24
                        Last edited by Ascension; 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                          I will stick my neck out and say The Tonker is a "smoother" Swamp Thang.
                          But here we go again. Look at how differently we all hear (some) things. You really will never know unless you hear/play it with your own gear/hands.
                          Best
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Ascension, ordered the power tubes and a tung sol pre. Should have them tomorrow.
                            Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                            Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                            Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                            Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                            Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                            1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

New tubes in! That took care of the thinness and lack if warmth.
                              Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                              Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                              Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                              Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                              Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                              Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                              1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                              Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

nice!
                                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                                X