Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ampeg Reverberocket?

Originally posted by karpathion
    Do you just enjoy sh!ting on folks ideas? Or do you really know everything there is to know about everything? " Even styles you don't play?"
    I'm just curious.

You do realize that we all have google, right?
    No need to get all excited and be a jerk.

Just stating facts.

I don't know everything but I do feel like I have a fair bit of knowledge and when it gets into the world of vintage amps, guitars and effects I have a decent amount of real world knowledge being that I have owned a lot of vintage gear and that information serves me well.

Speaking of google...

Here is a copy of the most common Ampeg Reveberock schematic:

Here is a copy of the most common tweed Bassman schematic:

Now, if you can read schematics you'll not only see that circuit wise they have almost nothing in common but in addition to that I have played thru both of these amps in the past and can tell you that sonically they also have little in common.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by karpathion
      Wut?
      It had been a long day and I made a correction...we all make mistakes.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Good lord this is out of hand...

Just stating that the old Reverberockets and old Bassman amps have little to nothing in common...

You'll notice i'm not alone in my thoughts about this guitfiddle agreed with me on it.

There is no need to get all excited and there is for sure no need to attack me via PM...if you disagree with me that's fine but there is just no need to act like this about it...

Remember, it's just the internet my man.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
          Sweet!! Thanks for all of the info dude! You seem to really know your stuff with these Ampegs!
          Thanks, and you are welcome. I have had a big interest in them since they came out. I've had my Jet II since 1995, and the B-100R since about '96 or '97. Some of them are even better sounding than their closest vintage equivalents (and without having to rely on the somewhat obscure tubes that some of the old Ampegs used). The Jet II in particular sounds much better than the amp on which it was based (IMHO), and it has reverb, which the originals did not.

The only big drawback of the Reverberocket (and Super Rocket) is the shared E.Q. I either use the gain channel or the clean channel, but I really don't switch between the two during a gig. They are really begging for separate tone controls for each channel. (I suppose a tech could install concentric pots and rig something up, but probably not worth the money.) Another semi-big drawback of the Reverberocket (but not the Super Rocket) is no tremolo, but that might not be important for some people.

The Super Rocket, like a V4, is disgustingly overpowered (and heavy). Hard to find a venue where you can really open it up. I play it on 2 or 3 against my bandmate's Barons cranked through a 4x12. The Reverberocket is a happy medium between the tone of the Jet II and the raw power of the Super Rocket, if you can live without Tremolo.

Also, keep in mind that it is the 1x12 version, so it is the least valuable of the two combos. But easy to carry. I wouldn't pay more than $400 out the door. Maybe $500 for the 2x12 version. I think I paid under $300 for my head version, but you have to add the cost of a cab unless you already have a suitable one.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-19-2012, 05:29 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I remember seeing one locally for $400, I almost bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              Thanks, and you are welcome. I have had a big interest in them since they came out. I've had my Jet II since 1995, and the B-100R since about '96 or '97. Some of them are even better sounding than their closest vintage equivalents (and without having to rely on the somewhat obscure tubes that some of the old Ampegs used). The Jet II in particular sounds much better than the amp on which it was based (IMHO), and it has reverb, which the originals did not.

The only big drawback of the Reverberocket (and Super Rocket) is the shared E.Q. I either use the gain channel or the clean channel, but I really don't switch between the two during a gig. They are really begging for separate tone controls for each channel. (I suppose a tech could install concentric pots and rig something up, but probably not worth the money.) Another semi-big drawback of the Reverberocket (but not the Super Rocket) is no tremolo, but that might not be important for some people.

The Super Rocket, like a V4, is disgustingly overpowered (and heavy). Hard to find a venue where you can really open it up. I play it on 2 or 3 against my bandmate's Barons cranked through a 4x12. The Reverberocket is a happy medium between the tone of the Jet II and the raw power of the Super Rocket, if you can live without Tremolo.

Also, keep in mind that it is the 1x12 version, so it is the least valuable of the two combos. But easy to carry. I wouldn't pay more than $400 out the door. Maybe $500 for the 2x12 version. I think I paid under $300 for my head version, but you have to add the cost of a cab unless you already have a suitable one.
              Yeah, the shared EQ was the only thing that really kind of drew me back from the amp. If I set the EQ for the clean channel, the gain channel sounds a little dark and just kind of real closed up, but I found if I push the gain channel with my Timmy, with the treble up just a bit, it really opens up the gain channel and makes it usable. Not having a trem isn't really an issue for me, because I never really use one all that much.
              Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

gain.. channel? I didn't think of this as a "gain" kind of amp at all.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                  gain.. channel? I didn't think of this as a "gain" kind of amp at all.
                  Yes, it has a clean and a dirty channel. The gain channel is just more of a vintage Marshall-ish kind of tone. Just more of a crunch mode on the amp, kind of.... Its not high gain at all. But I already have my Blackstar HT-40 if I need more gain.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                    Yes, it has a clean and a dirty channel. The gain channel is just more of a vintage Marshall-ish kind of tone. Just more of a crunch mode on the amp, kind of.... Its not high gain at all. But I already have my Blackstar HT-40 if I need more gain.
                    sounds like id be into it.

Comment

'm out at my friends shop right now, thinking about buying the amp, and I just discovered that this amp as EL34s and not 6L6 tubes! Maybe thats why I like the tone so much... lol Didn't most of the Ampeg Reverberocket R-12R amps have 6L6 tubes in the power section?

Comment

Working...
                      X