X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with 6V6s tubes

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Yep.

A quad of JJ 6V6's in a Twin Reverb is still about 70 watts thought...maybe a tick more.

There is a BIG article on just that on the web somewhere...just google Twin Reverb JJ 6V6's and you'll find it.
    Is that really possible? That would be almost 18 watts per tube. A Deluxe with two 6v6's only puts out about 18 watts.

I know the transformers are much bigger in a Twin but still...

Comment

the voltage is much higher in a twin which is why you can really only do this with the jj 6v6. try a tung sol and itll red plate real quick

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
        what? really? based on what point of reference? I got my info here.

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-H...livolts-mA.htm
        My only point of reference is 17+ years of repairing guitar amps.

They will certainly sell you a lot of tubes if you follow those directions!
        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Aha. Wonder if glassman can "chime" in again....can you put jj6v6s in a twin and drop the bias without blowing stuff up?
          Yes you can. You need to get the bias current down around the 18mA range (or lower if possible).

The bias setting also sets the operating range for a given tube. A "cool" bias "somewhat" limits the peak current of the tube while a hot bias lets the tube attempt to pass all the current the power supply can deliver. With 100 watts of power supply, your 70 watts worth of tubes can lose a lot of their life fairly quickly unless you throttle them back.

Higher bias current also limits the operating range and make the amp significantly less dynamic.

The JJ6V6 will take whatever you throw at it (within reason)...it really comes down to how long you want your tubes to last and how compressed you want your amp to feel.
          Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
            Is that really possible? That would be almost 18 watts per tube. A Deluxe with two 6v6's only puts out about 18 watts.

I know the transformers are much bigger in a Twin but still...
            JJ 6V6's are not true 6V6's, they are based on the, no long gone 7591 tube which is almost as stout as a nice old 6L6 but came in a smaller bottle.

Post 1965 Ampeg amps often used 7591 and a pair of them gave about 35ish watts.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              JJ 6V6's are not true 6V6's, they are based on the, no long gone 7591 tube which is almost as stout as a nice old 6L6 but came in a smaller bottle.

Post 1965 Ampeg amps often used 7591 and a pair of them gave about 35ish watts.
              Yup. Ampeg, always desiring a clean, jazzy sound, never pushed those tubes near their limits, so you could get more power from them than they ever did.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I use a matched set of JJ 6V6 (Not the 6L6 which came in this amp) in a Super Reverb RI biased at 38 and JJ GZ34, four ECC83S's and two ECC81 tubes

Super sounding amp.

Reading these post make me wonder if I run the danger of toasting some component with this set-up.
                Last edited by Stratman; 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM.
                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

What are you guys doing with the Z Out when you run a pair of 6V6.
                  Do you just do it.?
                  Change the Impedance on the chassis.?
                  Change the Impedance of the speaker(s).?
                  Thanks
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I have a HR with the Omega Mod, and at the time, I ask Jim if I could use 6v6's instead od 6l6's, and I think he did lower the Plate current to be able to swap tubes....
                    Another Mod I done by my Tech, is the Cathode Bias kit, no need to bias the amp when swapping tubes.....Yes there is a drop in volume with the 6v6's, but a much nicer creamy overdrive tone !!!!!....with the yellow Jackets and 84's, the tone was squashed and trebly..

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
                      What are you guys doing with the Z Out when you run a pair of 6V6.
                      Do you just do it.?
                      Change the Impedance on the chassis.?
                      Change the Impedance of the speaker(s).?
                      Thanks
                      im assuming that at least the op hasnt done anything about it. the mismatch wont hurt the amp but the match isnt optimum

Comment

How difficult is it to do this swap? I'm assuming I'd have to have it rebiased by someone who knows what they are doing. How expensive is that? I've been wanting to do something to make the 2nd channel sound better on my HRD, maybe this (or the Yellowjackets + EL84s) is the ticket.
                        Go Packers!

Comment

on a hot rod deluxe? it's not hard at all, they just pop in.

you need to lower the bias though, It seems I'm running them pretty hot. I love break up but I think I will lower the bias reading to about 30mv.

Comment

Working...
                          X