Recommend a bad overdrive pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend a bad overdrive pedal

Anything made by or branded as Rocktek. Man, those sucked.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Idk if I have played a overdrive I just thought all out sucked. Plenty of distortion pedals though

Comment

Once man's ceiling...

I had an old DOD 250 OD. Sounded great thru a Fender amp, merely okay with my SUNN amp, and like #### thru my Marshall. A lot just depends on the combination.

I have NEVER liked the MXR Distortion+. Not even back in the day, when it was nearly the only game in town.

Another cheap Peavey pedal with a non-existent rep--the late-Eighties Accelerator Overdrive. This little orange box has nothing going on for it--until you pick up and lay a glass slide against the strings. Tone heaven!!

See? Right tool for the job. Everybody has their own way of gettin' it done.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I had a Blues Driver a long time ago. Hated it. Wish I kept it because now these things seem to have a decent resale value.

About a year ago I bought some giant Danelectro OD pedal used that was, um, less than inspiring sounding. Someone on here said they were good, and it was cheap, so I bought it. Traded it back in about a week later. Can't remember the model, but it was really big and heavy, not one of those little plastic jobs that sell for 29 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
            Aren't DS-1s still $40 new? LOL
            Yep, and of you know how to use them and put it in front of a decent amp they're worth it.

I never thought much of them untill I saw a guy using one with a fender hot rod, and tone rolled down low. Sounded great.
            Gear:
            Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
            Epi Dot Natural
            Partscaster blackie
            Breedlove Passport Mahogany
            VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
            Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Very bad indeed. I wasn't sure what it was called cos the plastic strip on the front of the one that has fallen into my posession has fallen off. Fwiw...all mine does is create wild feedback so maybe im being harsh...
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I had a few of those back in the late 80's. Made a POS amp sound like a fuzzier POS amp. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Comment

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

A stock Blues Driver through a fully clean amp is goddamn awful unless you crank the gain and play punk. By then it's fun.

A modified Blues Driver through an amp on the verge of breakup? Yummy.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

HA! I loved Arion pedals. They were what I could afford. that was back when I thought BOSS was good.

bad overdrive, DOD fx50B. Hissy like a 13 year old girl grounded from Justin Bieber. Even the switch was worthless. and a stupid prong adapter instead of the standard barrel.
                      Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

Actually, the worst overdrive I've tried has to be the Boss SD-1.
                        Can't see what it's good for. Can't do a good clean boost, the gain is meaningless, and the tone pot is just weird.
                        Guess I gotta try it with a crunchy Marshall in front or something.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

anything with "fuzz" in the name or description

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            Actually, the worst overdrive I've tried has to be the Boss SD-1.
                            Can't see what it's good for. Can't do a good clean boost, the gain is meaningless, and the tone pot is just weird.
                            Guess I gotta try it with a crunchy Marshall in front or something.
                            Thats exactly what you need to do with it. Plug it into 800 or previous single channel Marshall amp.Same for the DS1.

Keep in mind also, the old Mij versions sound alot better than the stock new versions. Like a moron, i sold my originals, and now would have tp pay 2- 3 times as much to have them modded to sound decent, as the new ones dont sound anywhere close to my old ones. Almost sound like different pedals.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

fWIW, I even like those old DOD fx yellow box overdrives and red box distortions.Very similar to their Boss counterparts. I never had a problem pulling good tones out of them through a quality guitar and amp setup.
                              Last edited by JeffB; 06-20-2012, 06:05 AM.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                                anything with "fuzz" in the name or description
                                If I were an admin I'd ban you for this post.
                                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                                X