Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good rhythm distortion/OD pedal

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    While I realize its probably not at all what you want to hear throwing stop gap gear at a problem in the long run will cost you more money and will make it only take longer until you can get decent gear. Especially if your income is limited you want to spend money only where you really want to.

I say dial in the best tone you can with what you got.. .then just play and not worry about it. Concentrate on learning and music while you save up some cash to get a better amp. You could run out and dump 50 bucks on a pedal that likely wont do what your after but thats just puts you 50 bucks farther away from getting a good amp.
    I think this is excellent advice.

Comment

Essentially what I said.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I could probably be tempted into selling my ProCo You Dirty Rat for a decent price. I'll refrain from giving a review as I don't want to sound like a sales pitch. Suffice to say that, in my opinion, it will do what you're asking. It was my sole source of dirt for a long time into a sold state clean channel and I was extremely happy with it.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

We already decided for him that hes going to stick with what he has until he can make the move for an amp that could actually make use of the pedals.

Comment

personally I think you should upgrade the stock speaker and you should spend some more time tweaking with what the amp can do. Chances are the amp can do whatever you are looking for it to do.

I like the Eminence Patriot and Redcoat series speakers. A Rajun Cajun or Ramrod would likely be a good starting point for that amp. Plus if you sell the amp you could either keep that speaker or sell it to increase the value of the amp.

Until you upgrade your amp and actually decide what type of dirt box would suit your needs I think it's throwing money away.

Comment

I may get the Distortion III after I get my new guitar anyways. My reasoning is:-

1) I tried a Squier through my amp and it sounded 10 fold better. The difference was rediculous.

2) Someone I know uses a solid state Fender amp (a 212r I think?) that sounds absolutely great with some tweaking so it's worth perservering with. if you get what I mean.

3) Even if it doesn't work out, I can either sell the pedal on, or have a kickass pedal for when I get the new amp.

Thankyou all for the input anyways.

Comment

Working...
              X