banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

I tried one of these at the same time as an Orange Tiny Terror. I spent the whole time with the H&K trying to dial in a clean tone as nice as the Orange gave out. All that EQ control and I couldn't do it. I found it a bit sterile. Got the Tiny Terror in the end.

Comment

Geez. I thought the TT Cleans suck, so the TM18 cleans must be pretty bad.

Im quite happy with my rig, but I will go try this sucker at GC in the next few days just to hear it out.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Some nice features and I'll definitely be interested next time I'm looking for an amp.

Is the FX loop solid state? I assume it's one 12AX7 for the preamp and one for the phase inverter.

The automatic bias adjustment seems like a great idea, but on the other hand, if something did go wrong with it, it could be a nightmare to fix.

Comment

So you like it better than the Egnater Tweaker?

I always think those little youtube demo's sound kinda scratchy and undefined. Kinda bland actually, where's the liquid lush and clear definition?

The feautures are incredible though and if GJ likes it... aw man you just had to give me GAS, didn't you? Not again!
          Last edited by Nightburst; 07-15-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
            So you like it better than the Egnater Tweaker?

The feautures are incredible though and if GJ likes it... aw man you just had to give me GAS, didn't you? Not again!
            I think if you put the Egnater Tweaker 15 and Tube Meister 18 next to each other on matching 112 Vin 30 cabs, most would choose the H&K. The voicing is more to my liking, and the excellent set of features including channel switching, silent recording out, and variable power.

This amp is really too new to discuss, since it came out last week. I guess we'll let the reviews, clips, and unit sales give us an idea of it's value.

I always like to try new things, whether I'm truly interested or not. This is one piece of gear where my wheels started spinning about how soon I can acquire one. To me, it's the best small 'do it all' tube amp.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

FYI, Musikshmidt has demos of the 5 and 36 watter up too. I have not been able to get over to GC to try the 18 as I have family in town. Hopefully soon.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I was all settled on an AC15, but now I'm thinking of this, the Tweaker, and who knows what else. I would love love love to get one amp that would make me feel comfortable getting rid of all my other amps - it's laborious keeping up 3 amps: one for WOOF, one for KERRANG, and one for BA-LOOM.
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Tried several different pre amp tubes. Ended up with the stock V1 and a EH12AT7 in V2. (tried about 7 different tubes incl the stock Class 5 tubes and the EH's in my 900)

Don't have $$$ for power tubes yet

Loving it to bits
                  Amp department:
                  JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
                  Class 5 (pure class...)
                  Hughes&Kettner TM18H
                  Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard
                  Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

^ Cool, you bought one!

Did you replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7? How did the sound change?

I tried to see what kind of power tubes it had, but the logo was facing sideways. What does it come with? Who knows....maybe you don't need to change them.

I'll bet it sounds really thick on a 412 cab, because I turned the treble up pretty high on a 112. Do you have to max out the treble to get high end cut with a 412?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      ^ Cool, you bought one!

Did you replace a 12AX7 with a 12AT7? How did the sound change?

I tried to see what kind of power tubes it had, but the logo was facing sideways. What does it come with? Who knows....maybe you don't need to change them.

I'll bet it sounds really thick on a 412 cab, because I turned the treble up pretty high on a 112. Do you have to max out the treble to get high end cut with a 412?

It's my 1965A in the picture (4x10 with Celestion G10L-35's)
                      Very "mid" focused speakers with early breakup. Nice stoner box.

Stock pre's read "12AX7 China". Didn't check power, didn't have a matched set to swap with. Only single's.

I would say the change gave more defined mids (less high)
                      Amp department:
                      JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
                      Class 5 (pure class...)
                      Hughes&Kettner TM18H
                      Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
                      Gibson Les Paul Standard
                      Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

Great info Joe!! Nice coming from someone who's opinion I trust. Ive been GASSING for one since they came out too as EVERY clip and review Ive heard have been great. PLUS, I want to get a recording rig together and these have the red box thing built in too.. Plus, I think it looks killer with the blue light.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Here's a good video. The second half is when he starts to show it's tonal range.
                          If you want it more vintage, just turn the masters all the way up, and dial the gain to taste.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

yeah, Ive seen that vid. I about cracked up because someone left a comment that the kid looks like an Asian ronald weezlie or whatever the redheaded kid in the lord of the rings movies..
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Amazing review Joe. i REALLY didn't need to read it.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Bump because 8 years later I bought one. Joe was really spot on.

Joneser may be many things - but he has great taste in gear...
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X