JCA22H, any reason not to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCA22H, any reason not to?

I'm thinking about putting some money down on one. After playing one I think it's about perfect for home/recording use for me, it sounded great, even at low, night time volumes. The crunch channel does a reasonable rendition of my Butcher, and the lead channel does a reasonable rendition of my Mark III, which is about all I can ask for. I think I want it. I'd be pairing it with my Boogie 1x12 with an EV.

Re: JCA22H, any reason not to?

I've heard really great things about those Jet City amps. Sounds like the perfect low watt amp for what you want. 20 watts is still pretty big sounding, but if you've tried it out, you already know what it can do. Seems like a great amp for the price (under $400).

Man, I've been wanting either the JCA20 or the JCA22 head myself. I can't think of a reason not to get it (if you can afford it, obviously)

Go for it. Then give us a review.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I love the JCA20H. It took me a little bit of work to get it where I wanted it, but I think it sounds really great now. Cleans are a bit blah, but I don't think that's why you buy the amp.

Comment

Nope, the crunch with the pre about 1/2 way is about as clean as I need. I cranked it a bit, I don't think it's too loud, and it really surprised me how good it sounds turned way down, workable for my 1 am sessions, unlike anything else I've tried.

I don't know how much the JCA20H is, but the lead channel is easily worth an extra hundy, in my opinion. I really like it.

I'm curious about durability with these things, I will be using it on a near daily basis.

Comment

If that's not worth the extra hundred, the effects loop is. I bought mine before the JCA22H had been released.

I love dorking around with amps and effects and such, so I installed a depth pot, a choke, a voicing switch, and an extra cap to lower the bandwidth of the power section a bit to avoid ice-picky highs. The only one of those I don't think I could live without now is the depth pot.

But it is a great little amp. I think it needs new tubes right out of the box, but obviously that is going to depend on whether or not you get good tubes and whether or not the bias is set properly.

Comment

Dark Terror...buy buy buy!

Comment

Love mine. Nice sustain. Sounds good at low volume. I like channel one for acdc stuff. Channel 2 burns! Nice amp. I use a green beret with mine
              Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
              Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
              Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
              Epiphone LP Special w/JB
              Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
              Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
              1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
              Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I don't think I can beat the price/sound ratio, I think I've gotta do it. I can't afford an Orange, and I like the idea of having a "less dirt" channel. I might check out the Class5, but I really liked the lead channel on this thing, don't have to use the Rat, and it's louder, could probably work as a backup for either of my big amps in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                  Dark Terror...buy buy buy!
                  The Jet City JCA22H will absolutely bury the Dark Terror for less $$!! More eq control bigger and more articulate tone 2 channels for much less $$ it's not even CLOSE! Just swap the POS stock power tubes ASAP and you are set with the Jet City!
                  I own a JCA22H and it rocks!! I also own a 25 watt Zinky Blue Velvet and a 1990 MK III JCM 900 Marshall and the little Jet City get's almost as much on stage play as they do!!
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
                    Love mine. Nice sustain. Sounds good at low volume. I like channel one for acdc stuff. Channel 2 burns! Nice amp. I use a green beret with mine
                    Agreed on all. I am running a WGS Vet 30 most of the time with mine in a Blackstar 1/12 and it SLAMS!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Ha, that's the ringing endorsement I was looking for.

Comment

I've got the JCA22H, King Iz, and I like it much more than my Blackstar HT-40, which has reverb and twice the wattage. The effects loop in the Jet City is far better than the Blackstar and best of all, Jet City actually supports people that like to mod their amps, do their own tube swaps, etc, whereas Blackstar would prefer NO ONE but one of their "Authorized Technicians" do ANY sort of work on a Blackstar.

JCA is a better amp and a better company. Fact. -Rod-
                        2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst
                        Gibson 2010 Flood Anniversary Les Paul, Blue Swirl

Jet City JCA22H Full Stack
                        BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

just received my 2212 yesterday!

i sold my marshall haze 40w combo which was very good for cleans and upto early 70s gain. any more gain either from the preamp or through an OD pedal made the amp incredibly fizzy and bad sounding

the 2212 costs half the price of the haze and for anyone who needs marshall type tones beats it easily (unless you want a 60s type of tone)

this amp is simply amazing and dirt cheap. i was able to dial a great acdc type of sound in a few minutes on the crunch channel (a jmp type of sound)
                          the overdrive channel has insane amounts of gain and i haven't learned to dial it properly yet but i expect it to be able to deliver great hard rock and classic heavy metal sounds

PS: imo the common belief that this amp has no cleans or clean headroom is BS unless you are a fun of fender amps and you need super clean tone (not sure what that means) at insane volumes
                          with the preamp gain on the crunch channel on 3-4 (goes upto 9) you can get significant volume of clean tones with only a slight hint that it is close to overdrive

Comment

Heh, the one I was going to buy sold before I put money down and they never got another one, just the single channel version. I did really like that amp though.

Comment

They're pretty awesome amps for what they cost. I have one on the way to me this week to do some mods on.
                              Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                              WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                              http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Working...
                              X