Analog distortion pedal into Digital Amp modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog distortion pedal into Digital Amp modeling

I just bought a Boss Micro BR 80 and It advertises to have the same amp modeling of Boss GT 10.

It has a terrible reverb and I want to use an analog reverb pedal, but reverb should come after distortion. So that means I also need an analog distortion pedal before reverb, then choose a clean amp modelling setting in the Micro BR, and "hope" to get good tone for shredding and sweeping all around the neck without mud and mess with Duncan 59 neck pickup on my Les Paul.

SO my question is; any distortion pedal recomendations that you experienced and got a good result in such a setting with a digital modeling amp? and also how can I tweak the EQ, AMP settings in the Micro Br? since it looks endless.

Thanks
    Last edited by Icarusfire; 08-22-2012, 04:59 AM.

Re: Analog distortion pedal into Digital Amp modeling

Modelling amps....hmmm, most of them don;t do the pedals bit well, or they'll do something weird. You really need to experience what your amp does with the pedal you stick in front of it.

For a cheap throw of the dice try the Joyo US Dream....built off the Suhr riot.

Comment

pedals and modellers amps just dont get along.
      Keep things simple. It always works best.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

tnx and what about a wah pedal, I guess it works ok?

Comment

Modeling amps need effects loops to use pedals properly. My PODX3Live has a programmable effects loop that I put a Tone Press and Decimator through. I don't use them much, but they work great in the effects loop, especially with the ISP G String.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Br 80 has a programmable digital effects loop, but what does it to do with analog pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by Icarusfire View Post
              Br 80 has a programmable digital effects loop, but what does it to do with analog pedals?
              Digital pedals and analog pedals behave exactly the same electrically and electronically as far hooking them up together is concerned.

Digital pedals just have little DSP processors (small computers) that provide the sound and analog pedals rely on IC's for their sound (you'll find DSPs and ICs on digital pedals). Some analog pedals don't have any ICs in them and rely on various electronic components to deliver their sound.

My Barber Tone Press is analog and the ISP Decimator G String is digital... they both work perfectly with my Line 6 unit.

The BOSS's programmable effects loop is designed specifically for individuals just like you who have an additional pedal or two that they would like to add to the set-up. The programmable part allows you to incorporate the pedal or not by leaving the pedal switched on and controlling it with the individual patches.

Crack open the manual, get a couple of patch cables and your pedal ready and get cookin'!
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

you're chasing a dragon if you're trying to use analog effect pedals to improve the sound of a digital modeling amp.

pedals can only change your sound...they won't improve it. your amp is 80% of your tone.

by the time you've bought a decent reverb and distortion pedal, you are close to $200... which you could probably double if you can return that amp to where you bought it.

now you have a $400 budget to buy a decent tube amp with reverb...a used Blues Junior or a Blackstar HT20 or something.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  you're chasing a dragon if you're trying to use analog effect pedals to improve the sound of a digital modeling amp.

pedals can only change your sound...they won't improve it. your amp is 80% of your tone.

by the time you've bought a decent reverb and distortion pedal, you are close to $200... which you could probably double if you can return that amp to where you bought it.

now you have a $400 budget to buy a decent tube amp with reverb...a used Blues Junior or a Blackstar HT20 or something.
                  A $400 tube amp will absolutely get it's doors blown off with any decent modeler.

Comment

No. It will sound a whole lot better.

I hate the sound of digital modeling. It's harsh and hurts my ears.

My Class 5 was $400 and sounds excellent... my 68 Bassman was only about $450 with a cab! So yeah you are wrong.

Comment

Where do you put the sd card on a blues junior? I don't see a spot for it. How do you get the recordings off of a blackstar ht20?

-----
                      Not sent from a PC......or a red delicious.....but from a robot with a human appearance.
                      Originally posted by MikeS
                      a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                      Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                      whats becoming of this generation
                      We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

I hate the sound of digital modeling. It's harsh and hurts my ears.
                        Do you have canine hearing or something? lolz.

Just by definition, you hate the sound of modelers and I highly doubt you have as much experience as necessary to make an accurate judgement. Going over to a buddy's house and playing his modeler, playing a display unit at a store or buying one without knowing how to program it and getting frustrated with it and selling ASAP are not the proper way to experience a modeler.

They don't respond like real tube amps and don't have the same feel, I'll agree with you on that... they can't do the "play softly and the sound is clean and play hard and the sound is distorted" thing like real good tube amps do.

My Class 5 was $400 and sounds excellent... my 68 Bassman was only about $450 with a cab! So yeah you are wrong.
                        The price you paid for your '68 Bassman was really low and an aberration. Congratulations on the steal!

You can play a great tube amp, but to record it digitally takes a quality microphone, a good room, adequate preamp, an in and out box to the computer or an adequate sound card... and the ability to properly work each end of the signal chain to good effect. To record good tube amp tones is not that easy and is an added expense.

Most of the amateur recorded tube amp stuff via microphones etc sounds pretty amateur, because recording is an art and most musicians aren't that good at it. Most of the digital modeling recordings done by amateurs sounds professional because you don't need to be a recording engineer to get professional studio quality results.

That's the big advantage of modeling over real tube amps... USB recording, a variety of outputs and being able to record great tube amp sounds at extremely quiet levels (great for city dwellers or apartments, condos etc).

I live in the city and can't even turn up my modeler, let alone crank up my '66 Super Reverb... I can't even turn my '66 Princeton reverb on 4 without pissing off my neighbor. Without modeling, I would be without the ability to record and there are many city, apartment, condo, duplex etc. dwellers who are in the same boat.
                        Last edited by zenmindbeginner; 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I have a lot of experience with a lot of gear.

I dig the points about recording but I'm a guitar player. It's my job to play and write music. When i need to record something beyond a basic demo, i take my quality gear to real recording pros and let them do it.

I dont want to compromise my real life tone for cconvenience sake... i want to sound really good.

Comment

UNBELIEVABLE, yet again my question gets scammed with irrelevent advices of how tube amp is better than a modeling amp! really? and some little snobby geniuses are already doing the math for me and advicing me to buy which tube amp..I really couldn't think about that sorry....is it maybe because I simply can NOT crank up a tube amp in my bedroom at midnight? and also tube amps does not have an SD card slot and 8 track recording?

Let me guess now you will recommend me to play at day time right? you r right..my bad
                            Last edited by Icarusfire; 08-23-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

You don't need to crank it up for it to sound good.

Analog pedals aren't designed to work with digital modellers.

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it.

Seriously, i am kind of offended by your attitude. I have over 10,000 posts here... i have been playing for most of my life and it has been my job to advise people on guitar gear for 3 years.

But yeah, what do I know? Digital modellers with bad reverb MUST sound better with analog reverb out in front.

Which analog reverb pedal were you considering?
                              Last edited by Empty Pockets; 08-23-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X