Analog distortion pedal into Digital Amp modeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analog distortion pedal into Digital Amp modeling

Ok, lets make things clear..Apologies if I offended you..

Of course anyone can write anything and you will not get arrested, but I want to keep at least my threads tidy, clean and relevant with its title so other people and "I" can find the information they need easily without scrolling down and get lost in irrelevant discussions, replies of how tube amps are a total steal sounds good..etc etc

In my question the words "tube amp" is not mentioned, and the reason for that is I am not asking for advice on it and how cool and cheap they are..and how s*tty is modeling amps..etc

As long as you keep it relevant, I would be glad to learn from your experience.

and those 10.000 posts of yours you mentioned..well no mystery there

Cheers
    Last edited by Icarusfire; 08-23-2012, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Getting back to your original post, have you tried editing the reverb setting on the BR-80? Your question about how you tweak the EQ and amp settings suggests that maybe you haven't.

I have a BR-600 that I have only just started trying to use properly and I'm finding it requires quite a bit of time with the user guide to figure out how to get the best out of these things. Lots of nice features but the user interface isn't exactly intuitive!

It seems to me the big advantage of these devices is their self-contained nature. If you can figure out how to work them and find workable guitar and drum sounds then they have everything onboard that you need to make decent quality amateur recordings. That makes them easily portable and usable in environments where you can't make a lot of noise.

Most of the preset patches are horrible but they demonstrate the capabilities of the modelled amps and effects, and usually you can find at least a couple to use as a starting point for creating your own. I think it's worth spending the time to really explore and understand the onboard features before pursuing the path of connecting other stuff, which inevitably brings its own complications to the equation.

So, could you edit the reverb setting, or perhaps use a delay instead? Maybe you've already tried this and you still can't live with it, in which case just ignore me.

Comment

My post was completely relevant to your question.

You bought an amp with features you don't like and you asked if accessories that aren't designed to work with it will sound good. In my opinion, they won't, and you should get an amp with sounds you like.

If this was a car forum, and you said you had just bought a Mustang, and wanted to know which tires would make it most suitable for off-roading, i would recommend getting a Jeep instead.

Use the tools as they are intended. We aren't smarter than the guys who designed this stuff.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I did not buy an amp..I bought Boss micro BR 80 which you can find under category "Digital recording devices" online. Just because it also has an amp modeling functionality does not mean I should sell it and buy a tube amp.

That's not more relevant than advising to buy a Mustang car, since you can listen music in your car too..
          Last edited by Icarusfire; 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
            Getting back to your original post, have you tried editing the reverb setting on the BR-80? Your question about how you tweak the EQ and amp settings suggests that maybe you haven't.

I have a BR-600 that I have only just started trying to use properly and I'm finding it requires quite a bit of time with the user guide to figure out how to get the best out of these things. Lots of nice features but the user interface isn't exactly intuitive!

It seems to me the big advantage of these devices is their self-contained nature. If you can figure out how to work them and find workable guitar and drum sounds then they have everything onboard that you need to make decent quality amateur recordings. That makes them easily portable and usable in environments where you can't make a lot of noise.

Most of the preset patches are horrible but they demonstrate the capabilities of the modelled amps and effects, and usually you can find at least a couple to use as a starting point for creating your own. I think it's worth spending the time to really explore and understand the onboard features before pursuing the path of connecting other stuff, which inevitably brings its own complications to the equation.

So, could you edit the reverb setting, or perhaps use a delay instead? Maybe you've already tried this and you still can't live with it, in which case just ignore me.
            Yeah tnx, I am messing with it since 3 days..damn there is too much options to try out, and yes maybe if I find the right settings for amp and distortion then reverb will sound better and less muddy..someone advised using a 2x12" simulation which helped a lot after I also messed with the microphone placement sim

Can I use WAH pedal with success in this situation?
            Last edited by Icarusfire; 08-23-2012, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

Yeah tnx, I am messing with it since 3 days..damn there is too much options to try out, and yes maybe if I find the right settings for amp and distortion then reverb will sound better and less muddy..someone advised using a 2x12" simulation which helped a lot after I also messed with the microphone placement sim

But I also wonder if I can use WAH pedal infront of modeled amp with good results? I think that's safer than using distortion pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by Icarusfire View Post
                But I also wonder if I can use WAH pedal infront of modeled amp with good results? I think that's safer than using distortion pedals?
                I've used a wah and a phaser in front of my Roland Cube 30 modeller and it sounds OK. Despite what I said above I'll probably try them with my BR-600 too. Try it and see if you like the result.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                  A $400 tube amp will absolutely get it's doors blown off with any decent modeler.
                  lol what

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Analog pedals aren't designed to work with digital modellers.
                    They work just fine, I use them with my digital modeler and they work perfectly.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Seriously, i am kind of offended by your attitude. I have over 10,000 posts here... i have been playing for most of my life and it has been my job to advise people on guitar gear for 3 years.
                    You are a digital modeling troll dropping your useless 2 cents in any thread that mentions it. You know nothing about modeling, yet continue to type, type, type away whenever you see a thread that has anything to do with digital modeling. You probably didn't set out to be a modeling troll, but you have effectively become one whether or not you realize it.

Oh and FYI, bullying of new members is not how Seymour Duncan builds their brand. New members are the lifeblood of any organization and you shouldn't show your ass to them on a regular basis.

Some of us know quite a lot.

To the OP... you don't actually have an effects loop. You have effects that are grouped into insert and loop FX categories. I'm pretty sure the "loop" effects are the reverb and whatnot you can add to your recorded tracks after the fact (in post).

try recording the track dry without much reverb and add some in after it is recorded.

Watch your input and output levels with this unit, it can distort rather rapidly and without much warning. With digital modelers, we absolutely must not overload the input stages... overloading the output stage will create a similar crappy sound.

Go ahead and use the wah. It will sound perfect and you won't have any problems as long as you make sure that you aren't overloading the inputs.

Overloading the inputs on a digital piece of equipment is never a good idea. Analog gear is much more forgiving and can give off a pleasing distortion when overloaded... not so with digital. There is a line to cross with digital that you NEVER want to cross.
                    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

As a recording engineer and a touring player myself, in the studio I tried anything before everything under the sun and I never got pleasing results when I put an analogue od/ds pedal before any digital amp emulation. Analogue emulation is a different thing. All Tech21 gear I used were rather friendly with OD pedals and AMT preamps tend to work exactly like the real thing.

If you want a problem-free and organic sound, hit an AMT preamp (about $100) of your style and use its cab emulation out, record the dry signal (bypass everything inside the BOSS, just feed the signal to the recorder) and the output of the reverb pedal. Check this, it's a some way similar setup to that:

The signal flow that I used: geetar -> AMT P1 cab sim out -> BOSS NS2 -> Rocktron Tsunami (here we go stereo) -> BOSS DD6 -> Alesis Midiverb (okay you can't get that in a stompbox) -> recording preamp

Here you can find info about AMT gear:

http://www.amtelectronics.com/

Check demos

- NP out -
                      Last edited by NecroPolo; 08-23-2012, 10:20 PM.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

to the OP...the way digital modelling stuff is designed to work is that they can pretty much do everything on their own. A powerful modeller has a thousand ways of tailoring every aspect of your sound. If you can't get close to the sound you are after with your existing modelling hardware/software, trying to shoehorn in analog hardware wont improve things. In reality, digital gear gets impeded by trying to do that kind of stuff. You need to look at dialing in the sounds in your existing unit better. If that doesnt work, then consider changing your rig either to a more powerful digital setup, or perhaps an all analog (preferably tube amp based) setup.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

wow, I was reading this and actually I am offended by the people who totally jumped completely off the OP's original question and started arguing about what amp costs what, someone plays guitar so he will pay for quality recordings Bla Bla Bla. BTW I and almost anyone I know could care less if you have 1 post 10,000 posts or 10,000,000 Posts when you drop the Op's original question so you can go on a egotistic rant about how rich,smart,intelegent, or lack of you are it is quite offending and I do not blame the original Poster at all for getting frustrated and expressing it.
                          If I offended anyone well good maybe you needed to be offended and 1 more thing FU.
                          To get to the original question The Boss unit is a 8 Track recorder correct not an Amp as some Replies had stated. I will tell you I have tried to add some analog Pedals to a Digitech GNX4 which is kinda what you have but with a Huge amount of other Features (before someone Opens mouth to insert foot) the GNX4 has onboard 8 track recorder but 2Gb limit on CF card, Phantom power, DBX Mic preamp with XLR connector etc. The GNX4 totally hated and created some of the most horrific sounds I have ever heard. Something about the Guitar Preamp just going Psycho with any type of pedal added between guitar and the GNX4. I have been trying to add a TTM Pedal to the Digitech RP 1000 I have and have had no luck even with the Stomp Loop and Amp loop I have found they do not play well together so I highly doubt if you are thinking of adding a distortion Pedal along with a reverb Pedal ( as you had stated you wanted distortion pre-reverb pedal) I agree with Alex R 100% he hit the Dysfunction directly on the head, I am not sure why these units mix like oil and Water or get along like Betta's in the same tank. But I have found that it gets real frustrating and no matter what I have tried not a darn thing has worked.
                          I may not be like some with teh ability to say I have played on huge amounts of expensive amps and tried a ton of pedals but from what I have I would hate to see you waste more money on pedals etc. that in the end you find do not work like you hoped.
                          I just hope my reply was helpful to the ORIGINAL POSTER or Thread Starter.
                          A Free Community For Guitarists I found and Love
                          http://www.shredguitarschoolcommunity.com

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo;3265745[SOUNDCLOUD
                            http://soundcloud.com/necropolo/andreas-wallstrom-and[/SOUNDCLOUD]
                            That was all kinds of AWESOME!

I can put any pedal I want in front of my POD X3 Live or obviously in it's effects loop. Any of my vintage pedals sound just fine.

Your BOSS unit may not be as forgiving... I'll bet that your reverb is overdriving a bit because your levels are too hot. BOSS/Roland reverbs are very good, so I'll bet it is the levels.

Just add the reverb in post via insert effect and your reverb problems should be over.
                            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

i know is this unrelated...but i love my boss digital reverb. RV-5.

Comment

@zenmindbeginner: Thanks I'm glad that you like it.

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                                That was all kinds of AWESOME!
                                Your BOSS unit may not be as forgiving... I'll bet that your reverb is overdriving a bit because your levels are too hot. BOSS/Roland reverbs are very good, so I'll bet it is the levels.

Just add the reverb in post via insert effect and your reverb problems should be over.
                                Do you mean, this track? No, input levels were okay and I don't have a BOSS recorder, it's a Focusrite audio interface. I just wanted it to be powerful so what you can hear is the external front-end tube compressor / preamp that was pushed until it started to f'n bleed and I pushed everything even harder and beyond when mixing and was really happy with committing a loudness war crime
                                Wackor
                                Ørdøg
                                NecroPolo
                                Diabolus in Musica
                                SIDrip Alliance
                                Book of Shadows
                                RKH

Comment

Working...
                                X