El Capistan or Timeline????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Capistan or Timeline????

I have the Brigadier...love it. Have seen so many demo's of the El Cap. that I think it is absolutely amazing. Timeline has all the bells and Whistles. I once owned a Digitech timebender and became frustrated with all of the various controls, sold it. So my own gut is telling me the El Capistan is the way to go. If money is no object and tone is...... what would you do??????

I do have a few other delay pedals also.... to name a few

Boss RE-20 (Will never get rid of this one, but have to learn to control it)

SD Deja Vu (Very flexible, great delays, emulates analog and the modulation is fantastic.)

Hardwire DL-8 (Great digital pedal)

Line 6 Echo Park (Great delay, does a lot, just did not mesh with me)

Dan Electro Dan Echo (really surprised me how much I like this one)

MXR Carbon Copy (not impressed, good delay, just not my style)

Re: El Capistan or Timeline????

El Cap is amazing IMO... hands down my favorite delay and I've owned/ tried a ton:

Boss DD 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 20
    Carbon Copy
    Malekko 616
    Deja Vu
    Echo Park
    Digitech Digi Delay
    DL4, M13, M9
    Memory Toy, Boy, Man
    Aqua Puss
    El Cap, Brig
    Empress SD/VMSD

Im sure i missed a few, but for ME the El Cap was perfect the minute i plugged it in. The hidden reverb, just made it even better.

That said... i maybe trading mine to get the Timeline. The MIDI thing just works for my current project. If the Timebender was too much, i say go El Cap

Comment

You already lots of good stuff and Strymon's contribution well covered by the Brigadier. What you really need is this.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I had the same dilemma and opted to go with the Timeline because there wasn't that much difference in money between it and the El Cap. The Timeline is a lot more versatile with all of the presets so I don't have to dial in the tone every time I want a different sound, stereo ins and outs, tap tempo, and a ton of control over the parameters so that I can get it to the right place in the mix. The El Cap does have reverb that the Timeline doesn't, but I can use the reverb in my amp so it's not that important to me. You are going to get a great delay no matter which way you go.

Good luck!
        Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I run a TC Electronic Flashback. It's quite amazing. Take a look at that one.

Comment

Originally posted by HamerPlyr View Post
            I had the same dilemma and opted to go with the Timeline because there wasn't that much difference in money between it and the El Cap. The Timeline is a lot more versatile with all of the presets so I don't have to dial in the tone every time I want a different sound, stereo ins and outs, tap tempo, and a ton of control over the parameters so that I can get it to the right place in the mix. The El Cap does have reverb that the Timeline doesn't, but I can use the reverb in my amp so it's not that important to me. You are going to get a great delay no matter which way you go.

Good luck!
            Don't wanna derail the thread, but I'm curious to hear if you want to share some of the tricks on parameter adjustments to make it fit in the mix.. I'm more of a set and go type, but some pointers would be very nice..
            My Soundclick

Comment

What do you want the delay to do? Do you want new sounds that you do not already have? Between all the other delays you already own, the only sound the Timeline will have that you don't already have is the "ice" patch, with the octave delays, and maybe ping pong delays, but those needs stereo, etc.

The El Cap is my favorite tape emulation delay...but you already have the RE-20, which is also a tape emulation delay. IMO, I like the El Cap better (IMO, IMO). So are you looking for a better (or at least different) tape emulation delay, or what?

As far as the Timeline...you already have a Brig., which is one of the sounds on the Timeline. But, the Timeline does a lot more and has presets, if either of those facts are important in your decision. Note that your Hardwire will do a lot of the same types of sounds (reverse, lo fi, etc.)...IMO the Timeline sounds better, but in terms of families of sounds, you have a delay that does those things...do you use it?).

If it were me...IMO, YYMV, etc...I would get the El Cap...that, plus the Brig, cover a lot of ground, and would be more straightforward than the Timeline.

In the interest of full disclosure, I had an El Cap, loved it but sold it to fund a Timeline, and then sold the Timeline and bought another El Cap. Silly, I know...but I found myself only using the dTape and dBucket algorithms on the Timeline and basically ignoring all of the other bells and whistles. I just felt more comfortable with the El Cap.
              Originally posted by Zhangliqun
              If I thought it would make it sound better, I'd dunk a Burst in the toilet.
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
                El Cap is amazing IMO... hands down my favorite delay and I've owned/ tried a ton:..............Im sure i missed a few, but for ME the El Cap was perfect the minute i plugged it in. The hidden reverb, just made it even better.

That said... i maybe trading mine to get the Timeline. The MIDI thing just works for my current project. If the Timebender was too much, i say go El Cap
                Yes, my thinking also. The timebender was a great delay, just too many knobs to tweak and at my playing level, I need all of my attention on the guitar. I love to "bedroom" the hell out of effects pedals and would have a lot of fun with the Strymon timeline, I am sure. However, all that being said, I really want to concentrate on my playing more and fuss'in with effects less. The Brigadier really impressed me and from what I have hear so far and seen on videos, the El Capistan looks to do the same.

Comment

The timeline is miles more versatile. Now if all youre gonna use is a tape setting then get the cap. Depends on what you need. The strymon can definitely do way more
                  i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                    Don't wanna derail the thread, but I'm curious to hear if you want to share some of the tricks on parameter adjustments to make it fit in the mix.. I'm more of a set and go type, but some pointers would be very nice..
                    Since there are 12 different delay types with different parameters for some of them, probably the best thing that you could do is to go to the user's manual:

Timeline User Manual

For example, the tape machine is my favorite.

The parameter "Lo End" allows you to shape the amount of bass in the repeats and when set higher (less low end), the repeats are less assertive.

"Filter" controls the emulation of tape age and the overall bandwidth of the repeats. Set it higher and the repeats get darker and sink more into the background.

"Grit" controls the dynamics of the repeats and used to shape how loud the first repeat is in relation to those that follow.

Those controls in conjunction with the "Mix" control (obviously) allow movement in the sound field like no other delay that I've ever used.

I really dig the dbucket delay, too, but that's a whole 'nother set of explanations.

As complicated as this all sounds, I tend to mess with them long enough to get what I want, save them as a preset, and never change it again. I need all of the versatility so that I can get to the tone that I want in the first place.

FTR, I'm not as picky about tone with anything else as I am with delay.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Forgot to reply, thanks, that helps!
                      My Soundclick

Comment

My pleasure, Tor. FTR, my favorite has now become the dbucket. I love the versatility of having both and then some.

Comment

Yeah, both of those are excellent. I use my Timeline more for rhythmic effects, though, so the digital and the dual mode has been used a lot so far (you know the type, P&W/U2 stuff).
                          My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                            (you know the type, P&W/U2 stuff).
                            I know that very well
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Sorry, I won't derail your thread anymore..
                              Last edited by Tor; 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM.
                              My Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                              X