Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

Two amps that I've done swapping between EL34s, 6L6s and KT88s were my 2ch Recto and my Quickrod. I agree that the KT88s are a tad looser but brighter than the EL34s in the same amp under similar EQ settings, but the KT88s were tighter, middier and thicker than the 6L6s. The 6550s Ive used were closer to the 6L6, very glassy top end and BIG bottom end. The KT88s were warmer and had more midrange.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Comment

Re: Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
      Two amps that I've done swapping between EL34s, 6L6s and KT88s were my 2ch Recto and my Quickrod. I agree that the KT88s are a tad looser but brighter than the EL34s in the same amp under similar EQ settings, but the KT88s were tighter, middier and thicker than the 6L6s. The 6550s Ive used were closer to the 6L6, very glassy top end and BIG bottom end. The KT88s were warmer and had more midrange.
      I know the Shiva 20th is a very different sounding amplifier and has a redesigned preamp. However, I think that I will essentially end up with a lower gain version of the 20th anniversary. I think the cleans will be close and the gain should be voiced similarly to the vintage channel of the 20th. I won't know until I drop the KT88's in. Hopefully they will arrive in the mail in the next couple of days.

Comment

Working...
      X