banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead?

Have a line on a used Boss FBM-1 pedal for $70. I'm thinking about it.

I'm looking at it as an overdrive, most emphatically *not* as a magic box that will turn any amp in front of it into a late '50s tweed covered Fender 4 X 10. No pedal can do that.

But if I look at it as an overdrive, that means it's a COSM {shudder} overdrive.

Are there rules against that? Somewhere? Like here?
    Last edited by Inkstained; 09-14-2012, 01:20 PM.

Originally posted by nedcronin
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Originally posted by metalmachine
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Re: If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead?

You can buy a digital overdrive without putting your soul at risk. I'm not so sure about the rules, though.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      You can buy a digital overdrive without putting your soul at risk. I'm not so sure about the rules, though.
      That's sig-worthy material right there, sir!
      Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
      Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
      Musicians are ****ing retards.
      Originally posted by ex-250
      Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead
        Boy, that's an easy one!

Yes.

Comment

Here is the ONLY rule you will ever need: If it sounds good, it is good.

And here is the cool part - YOU decide if you think it sounds cool!

Too many people worry about tubes, boo-teekness, true-bypasses, sampling rates, and on and on and on. Use your ears. Everything else is BS.

I don't care if was made from tubes shaped like Angel nipples and is optically driven by the pure light God, or if it runs on chewing gum, duct tape, and spins on hamster power. If it is the sound I want/need/like - I'm down with it.

You are talking to a guy who owns A Diaz Tremodillo and a Catalinbread Supercharged Over Drive, as well as a Washburn Stack-In-A-Box and a and a Boss HM-2.

If iot rocks you, rock it!

And kudos for thinking outside the box. Don't ask "Does it emulate a Tweed Bassman?" Ask does it sound cool? I dig the Tweed model on my ROland Cube for a number of classic rock and blues stylings.
          Last edited by Aceman; 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

OD that runs through 1's and 0's usually sounds artificial, compared to tube/analog organic tone.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I would gladly sell you a Visual Sound Rt 808 overdrive to help save your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                OD that runs through 1's and 0's usually sounds artificial, compared to tube/analog organic tone.
                Thanks Joe. Way to have my back there...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The only rule is "make good music."

How you go about that doesn't really matter.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Thanks Joe. Way to have my back there...
                    Oops. Did I go too far in the direction of TGWIF?
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ill admit that ive never even plugged into one of these pedals, but there is one thing i wonder about them:

How many pros does anyone know that use one of these (bassman or deluxe) pedals?
                      Off the top of my head i can think of a few local working musicians who use real bassmans and deluxes as their amps. I know a heap of famous players who have used these amps too. Same goes for various overdrive pedals from boss sd-1s, to tubescreamers and other boutique setups. As far as modelling goes I can even think of a couple of working musos who use sansamp pedals and racks (all solid state but not digital) as drive units and for direct recording.

I cant think of a single player that i know, or have heard either live or on record who uses a COSM boss/fender modelling pedal.

Who knows? Maybe these COSM pedals are the beez knees. You'll have to let us know after comparing it with alternatives.

For cheap...its hard to go past a used boss sd-1 and perhaps a couple of your mods of choice to flavour it to taste.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Your soul no, your tone yes.
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          Here is the ONLY rule you will ever need: If it sounds good, it is good.
                          QFT
                          Last edited by guitfiddle; 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

You'll burn in hell.

All kidding aside, who cares? Good tone is good tone regardless of whether it comes out of a tube amp or digital device.

Comment

I say go for it! I recently picked up the Boss Power Stack and it it definitely staying on my board. I'm gassing now for the Combo Drive and have been wondering about the tones of the FBM-1.
                              Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Working...
                              X