banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If I buy a digital overdrive, is my soul dead?

Mp-3 sucks in an unpleasent way
    Why is it that tech always seems to be the way to the starry skies??
    Music is not dependant on tech, it is based on how you do it(play, communicate and all that blah blah endless discussions ad naseum)!

Use what ever you connect with, if not, cut the dratted thing off

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
      I love when people talk about how digital kills tone, then link you to an example of great tone... as an mp3.
      Let's have it .ogg then. It sucks a little different, perhaps more pleasant way. Or standard redbook 44.1KHz 16bit .wav dithering that is already a serious bottleneck lawnmower of sound quality itself. But why bother? half of the populace listens to your stuff via laptop speakers or i-whatever earphones anyway
      Last edited by NecroPolo; 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Well yes, mp3 sucks. Compared to CD, right? Which is better than digital because... oh wait, never mind.

EDIT: in before "CD isn't as good as vinyl" - it's been shown to be indistinguishable in blind testing.

Comment

CD suck dongles too....
          Oh well.....
          Who cares anymore....hehe

Comment

EDIT: in before "CD isn't as good as vinyl" - it's been shown to be indistinguishable in blind testing.
            Between a 96KHz/24bit source material mixed down with analogue gear into a tape and a CD after dithering, you will
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

hope not, I have been using digital overdrive or amp sims for most/all of my recordingz I bet most could not tell which recording is which, an axefx2 or a real amp. but fuzz pedals = never heard digital sound like an awesome fuzz pedal into a real heavy rock amp!

I had a boss me30 for my first amp 13 years ago which was a jcm800 2203 and it sounded horrible! between the need to crank that amp and the hissing digital distortion, it was nasty in a bad way

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                This will be unnoticeable once you've played it a while and your soul becomes completely dead.

This is completely reassuring. Thank you. I play guitar to deaden my soul, so rock on.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                Originally posted by metalmachine
                dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

No problem. I practice and record with a Boss Micro BR once in a while, but my main rig is tubes, plus I like to listen to vinyl, so I have to do the 20 lashings bit to atone for my occasional digital sin and keep my soul on an even keel.

Comment

Electricity is the Devil's Play-Doh. Plan accordingly.

Thank you.

Comment

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open hearted, not so coldly charted,
                      it's really just a question of your honesty, yeah, your honesty..."

A real musician can make music with any and all appropriate equipment. Pay no attention to anyone that tells you otherwise.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                        Between a 96KHz/24bit source material mixed down with analogue gear into a tape and a CD after dithering, you will
                        Just saying it doesn't make it true. If you have details of a double-blind test where vinyl and CD (or CD and a "better" audio format) were identified correctly in a statistically significant number of cases, please point me to it as I'd be very interested to read it.

Here's a good read on the subject:

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                          The truth is that some random guy could have a 59 burst LP into a Dumble, playing leads in his band, and I'll still pay 10x the price of that admission to go see David Gilmour perform a few of his songs on a Walmart Hanna Montana acoustic guitar.
                          I've heard good things about the hanna montana acoustic....
                          "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

I actually owned the FBM-1 for a while. I eventually sold it cause I was low on cash and didn't have any real need for it at the time. I played a few shows with it, and always got compliments on my tone, but that might have been the Mesa Lonestar more than the FBM-1.

I have thought about buying another one, as it did sound pretty good, but I recently picked up a Joyo Sweet Baby and use it pretty much the same way I used the FBM-1. Hit the strings hard for some crunch, back off for some clean and tweak the volume on the guitar around to get the sound where I want it. The Joyo was cheaper and sounds better, so I'm happy with what I have now and probably wont be getting another FBM-1 anytime soon.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

Just saying it doesn't make it true. If you have details of a double-blind test where vinyl and CD (or CD and a "better" audio format) were identified correctly in a statistically significant number of cases, please point me to it as I'd be very interested to read it.

Here's a good read on the subject:
                              http://mixonline.com/recording/mixin..._new_sampling/
                              I don't do statistics. I do recordings for a living. You really don't have to be a bat to hear the difference between a high definition analogue mixdown and the dithered ready-to-distribute final file. If you come around here, shoot me a message and you can test it yourself @SSR
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

Working...
                              X