X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy Crap! A New Soldano Is Out

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
    Not true.

the 50H, 100H and 100HDM come with 6L6Gs/5881's stock. Yes they can run 6L6GCs, but as with the other soldano designs, even the Jet City high powered heads are designed to run 5881s
    You're absolutely right. My mistake.

Why did I have it in my head that 5881s are higher-powered lower-powered tubes? Probably because of those Krank mini heads that do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
      THe price on these is perfectly understandable when you look at the prices of the components.

O'netics transformers £5-600
      Clarostat Milspec pots £70
      MalloryTC/Panasonic Filter caps £140

and then theres the fact that theyre all hand built individually and wired like a work of art.

However this is something im working on kinda. More a 20w SLO though.
      This post is awfully light on details, dude.

Comment

Does it come in snakeskin tolex?

Comment

I'll stick with my Avenger thank you very much.
          All the modern aggression of any 5150, without the cluttered, overly compressed gain structure. Just pure, refined high gain mayhem.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            This post is awfully light on details, dude.
            There will be more details to follow. But not for a couple of months.
            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              I'll stick with my Avenger thank you very much.
              All the modern aggression of any 5150, without the cluttered, overly compressed gain structure. Just pure, refined high gain mayhem.
              The Avenger really is the best bang for buck Soldano, especially a used one.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

as much as Ive always lusted for a SLO, Ive been listening to clips on U toob and Id almost prefer the Jet city HDM. its pretty sick sounding. Dont get me wrong, Ill ALWAYS lust for an SLO and Bogner Ecstasy, but the prices are out of my league and impractical for my bedroom use. Also, I always kinda wondered if the SLO had enough gain. I didnt/ dont think they are super gain monsters are they? The HDM has a ton of gain..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I may be speaking out of turn again, but I think the HDM has the exact same circuit as the SLO. I'm about 99% sure that's the case on the overdrive channel, at least, and that's what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure the SLO does not have the depth control like the HDM does. The difference is in a couple of components, most notably the transformers. I have read in multiple places that the SLO transformers are custom made for Soldano, and he uses all the manufacturer can make. So you're not going to get a SLO without buying a SLO, but I think the HDM is about as close as you can get.

Comment

Let me put it to you this way. An SLO is the ultimate premium rock amp, and only one other amp can vie for supremacy; the mighty Uberschall.
                    Any other talk of lesser/less expenive amps achieving "THE" Soldano tone is pure hogwash.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      I may be speaking out of turn again, but I think the HDM has the exact same circuit as the SLO. I'm about 99% sure that's the case on the overdrive channel, at least, and that's what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure the SLO does not have the depth control like the HDM does. The difference is in a couple of components, most notably the transformers. I have read in multiple places that the SLO transformers are custom made for Soldano, and he uses all the manufacturer can make. So you're not going to get a SLO without buying a SLO, but I think the HDM is about as close as you can get.
                      THe HDM is actually closer to the Hotrod than the SLO.

Regarding the transformers they are fairly unique in mass produced terms but there are a few companies out there that have dismantled them and recreated them wind by wind and do custom jobs for people generally a bit higher spec though so they can handle more current as the Deyoungs can only handle the current draw of 5881/6l6.

Also the SLO does have a depth control if you ask for it but its generally a custom option as are the warran Haynes/SRV/and effects loop. The latter is generally put in as stock now though even though Mike doesn't like the amp with the loop as it alters the tonality somewhat.
                      WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        as much as Ive always lusted for a SLO, Ive been listening to clips on U toob and Id almost prefer the Jet city HDM. its pretty sick sounding. Dont get me wrong, Ill ALWAYS lust for an SLO and Bogner Ecstasy, but the prices are out of my league and impractical for my bedroom use. Also, I always kinda wondered if the SLO had enough gain. I didnt/ dont think they are super gain monsters are they? The HDM has a ton of gain..
                        The SLO has more gain than 90% of people will ever use. Most people use it with the gain at around 3/11 and it also fares very well at low volumes.
                        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

Working...
                        X