Amps i played at GC today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps i played at GC today

After work i took the les paul to GC to see if i like any amps better than my C50.

I played:

-Tiny terror - it made glorious noises, but not versatile enough to have by itself.

-Tweaker - too harsh and fuzzy. Didnt play it long at all.

-JTM reissue (plexi?) - no intro needed. The holy grail of amps.

-vibrolux - classic fender tone. Drives nicely.

-HT-20 - very versatile. Covers a lot of bases

-AC30 - awesome as usual

Of all the amps i tried, my favorite was a little vox lunchbox amp. 15w or 7.5w. It was VERY smooth, yet still had the classic voxy edge. I'm even considering selling my C50 to get one.

Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Re: Amps i played at GC today

Video sounds pretty cool. I wish you the best of luck on your reality show as well.

Comment

I almost picked one of those Vox lunchboxes up on a whim a few months ago cuz I saw it was on sale.

But I needed recording gear more, so I managed to pull myself away from it

Comment

That video was amazing...

There wasn't a single noob whacking off in the background.
        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Sweetness! Some of that tone was in the lunchbox but I think quite a bit was in those fingers as well.
          Donnie
          ---------
          VVT Raptor 60W

Comment

Don't do it, man. Compared to the C-50, the Night Train is a toy.
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I'm starting not to care about versatility. If an amp does one thing REALLY well, then I'll just stick with that tone. I don't care if it doesn't do everything. I need some dynamics, but if I buy an amp for its hotrodded Marshall tones, and it doesn't do Fender cleans, I don't care.

Comment

I may just sell a couple pedals and have a second amp. Hah

Comment

Have you tried the mini recto?
                  If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                  DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

No. I saw a demo on youtube i actually liked though.

Tomorrow I'm going back with a different guitar and trying out metal amps. I may end up with an HT-20 for versatility.
                    Last edited by rumblebox; 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I LOVE my blackstar HT-20. I can get any tone I ever want really. I can be playing Lamb Of God then turn the gain down a bit and get killer AC/DC tones. Playing slayer then rolling the volume knob down a bit gives me perfect Santana tones. Spend some time with one and you might find yourself in love.

PS: I totally agree on the fizziness of the tweaker. All the tones I dailed in with a tweaker at GC kinda felt half-assed.
                      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                      Originally posted by CTN
                      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I went to GC today and tried out one of those new SG's with the mini humbuckers into a Mesa TA-30 combo. I was super impressed with the Top Boost channel, and it makes me want a nice Vox style amp.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I really love the NT.
                          Once retubed, this is a killing tone machine.
                          Stock tubes are one of the worst new production ones: Sovtek 12AX7-WA. Good to tame feedback and microphonic issues but, sterile tone-wise.

The NT is a godsend when you want high portability. I was able to carry on all my gear at a time (guitar, pedalboard, amp head, amp cab) and, it always cuts through, due to the custom greenback on its little, light and portable NT112 cab.
                          With the right tubes, this little speaker cuts with authority and, sometimes I'm surprised that is deliverying quite well same dimensionality than my 2x12" cab (not same kick, for sure).

Takes pedals with ease. Great dynamics. Sounds good with any guitar I've tested it (including strato, tele, LP, PRS, Charvel...).

Maybe, it would be better with a channel switcher (thick / bright modes) and, some way to compensate the loudness of both channels (some kind of master volume by channel) but, in that way, we would be talking about other amp, right?.

I find it really usable set up clean (in the tube break boundary) and, do dirty tones with stomp boxes. I am not missing any reverb but, for sure, some delay is always welcome, to add some dimension.

Compared to other amps, it can be a bit harsh on high frequencies so, I am usually running it with Treble knob quite well at zero. So, don't hesitate to cut all trebles if your sound needs it.

It has two pre-amp tubes and two power tubes. Very easy to swap tubes, very easy to check how every tube (brand/model) affects the tone. Cheap to maintain.

I did a "versatility demo video" some time ago, just checking the several sample settings that you can find on Vox' site.
                          Not playing anything in concret and, not a good player in any single sense but, I think you can get an overall idea on how many voices are hidden under that little lunchbox

One more note appart:
                          This little box is being made in Vietnam but, did you know that it was designed by Tony Bruno?
                          My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                          My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I LOVE My Night Train! My band is opening for Lynch Mob next week and since space will be limited I'm thinking of leaving the Bogner halfstack at home and using just the VOX and a Mesa 2x12 set on it's side. Maybe a WAH and an overdrive but that'll be it.......Love the tone I get from it and it's very loud at 15/7.5 watts!
                            Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                            "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

**** it. i'm buying one

Comment

Working...
                              X