Looking for a Delay Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Delay Pedal

I had a Boss Giga delay which I really liked, I might pick another up but before I do I'm asking here to see if you guys know of any alternative that has what I need:

I have to be able to put in tempo. I don't mean tap tempo, I mean control tempo with a knob, like the giga delay which lets you set delay times to say, dotted eight notes at 130BPM.

I've been looking around and many people have recommended the line 6 DL4, but it lacks this feature.

I'm not really concerned about pricing at this point.

Re: Looking for a Delay Pedal

Tc Nova delay, Timefactor, Timeline

Comment

I know it's weird to think of these for just delay, but Line 6 M9 or M5.

- Ability to program in a tempo and time factor (e.g. quarter notes) for each patch, or use tap tempo
      - All the delay models of the DL4
      - Can set to either true bypass or DSP bypass for delay trails to keep going
      - Better buffering than the DL4
      - Can do other effects if you want

I don't know why anyone would buy a DL4 now. The M pedals do the same thing but better, AND they can do tons of other effects.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

DL4 was one of the tone-suckingest pedals I ever owned... some people love them though... maybe I was doing something wrong.

I have a timefactor now and it does everything you could ever want and MORE... so much more... more than your brain could ever handle.... you could have a setting for every song you play (up to 100)... It's a bit daunting to be honest at times. I typically only have 4 of the banks open, and close off the rest... this gives me 8 (2 presets per bank) total settings

If I'm playing a particularly crazy setlist where I need specific delays (including BPM) which is fairly common for my situation (playing with loops and click) I will often open a random set of banks... i.e. #7-#9 ... I'll then plug in my delays on each of the presets and just click through as I change songs.... it's pretty great!

From what I understand the Timeline does this same kind of thing, but I don't have any experience with it, so maybe someone else can chime in on it.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrizzle View Post
          DL4 was one of the tone-suckingest pedals I ever owned... some people love them though... maybe I was doing something wrong.
          Didn't enjoy working with that pedal either. I replaced it with a EH Deluxe Memory Man like the Edge uses. Organic sounding and super easy to use while performing. Love those knobs!

Sounds like an Echoplex but no maintenance issues.

Comment

Just get the timeline man, you'll never regret it. IIRC there's no waitlist anymore, you can just order it.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Timeline? it's better than the eventide?

Holy **** it seems like either one would be the last delay pedal I would ever need.

I guess now I'm going to think about whether I want to blow 400 or 450.

my band uses delay pedals a lot... I need a hard core effects unit.

Comment

"Jimmy Page, Frank Zappa, Brian May, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai"...

**** !!!

a nice group of my favorite guitarists listed as eventide users!

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post

I guess now I'm going to think about whether I want to blow 400 or 450.

my band uses delay pedals a lot... I need a hard core effects unit.

Bro, go over to The Gear Page... you can pick up a TimeFactor for around $300-$325 all day long on there. Getting it shipped from the ConUS to you, I'd still only pay around $325 max.

It'll open up so many options for you. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you read the crap out of the manual and research all the functionality online and on YouTube... there are some CRAZY AWESOME things you can do with these pedals that you probably haven't thought of before.... I'd go ahead and get the 3-switch aux pedal that you can get with the Eventide (if you go that route)... you can program the switches to do different functions that'll expand your options.

I use mine to bank up and down and I also have a "hold" function on the other one, that allows me to play a chord or note and hold it out (kinda like an EHX Freeze), so I can basically make a "pad" to play over. It's GREAT for ambient sort of stuff.

Welcome to big-boy delays!
                  Last edited by andrizzle; 09-26-2012, 07:19 AM.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

**** !!!

Yes, a very nice group of guitarists using the latest in electronics, AT THAT TIME! Nothing against the Eventide unit, I have never used it, nor for that matter, have I used a timeline. However, that being said, the latest and greatest seems to always be around the next corner and the Strymon Timeline, at the moment, is that unit.

I would really compare the two units in terms of function.... I am sure they will both sound spectacular.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by andrizzle View Post
                      Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
                      Didn't enjoy working with that pedal either..
                      Everyone on the Net hates the DL-4, but everyone uses it. I don't get it.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                      Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                      Originally posted by metalmachine
                      dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

When I bought a DL4 years ago I returned it because everytime I stepped on it, I got a really wierd 'hifi' type sound that I noticed right away... and I just didn't think the delays sounded that great. The M9 I had was better, but had a bad bypass problem so I just sold it off.

I'd say the strymon or whatnot if you need all that stuff. The flashback x4 looks good too, but no dial for delay time that displays miliseconds.
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

**** !!!

They all used Eventide stuff, but I don't think any of them, except MAYBE Vai, have used the Timefactor.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I came in here to recommend the DD-20, sounds like you know it pretty well
                            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I can't count nano seconds. Either I'd be a really ****ty drummer or I just don't give a frak about that level of precision.

I use a TC Flashback. I'm convinced it's probably the best delay pedal features and wutnot on the planet.

Anything beyond it, I'd rather just plug in numbers on an actual computer interface. My 2 cents.
                              AccountKiller

Comment

Working...
                              X