banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IN market for a new amp and would like some suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IN market for a new amp and would like some suggestions.

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
    used rivera 2-ch
    ^ This!!!

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Used Rivera K100 Knucklehead. No reverb, 2 channels.
    ^ ...and this!!!

Obviously, I'm biased... but I was looking exactly for what you are looking for and I found it in my Rivera Knucklehead II... I only paid $650 for it and the quality and sound are terrific! But I do have to accept that they are not for everybody, as some people feel the are harsh and difficult to dial on the EQ... I do agree with the EQ being one of the touchiest, if not the most sensitive out of any amp I've ever owned or played... but that could be a good thing if you learn how to use it
    Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
    Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      Way to name a "clean" module and a "dirty" model to state your case.

There's not much EQ difference in tone with the "blackface" vs the "clean." Same could be said with Recto vs Treadplate vs Ultra vs SL+ vs XTC, etc. I've owned them all. Granted they all have different gain stages (some more, some less) but generally speaking there's not a drastic difference amongst them. More like subtle difference. Now the modded modules on the other hand have a drastic difference.
      Is that not what he asked for? A good fendery clean and a marshally crunch? of course the high gain models won't sound very different, as they're running through the same tubes/amp/speaker, but the tones he asked for in the OP are there. I'm sorry you couldn't get what you like out of yours, but that in absolutely no way makes it a bad, mediocre, or un-valuable amp.

BTW, the combo I have came to me loaded with two modules and a Celestion G12T75 speaker, for $600...that's considerably under a grand, and it's loud enough for any, and I mean ANY stage.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
        Is that not what he asked for? A good fendery clean and a marshally crunch? of course the high gain models won't sound very different, as they're running through the same tubes/amp/speaker, but the tones he asked for in the OP are there. I'm sorry you couldn't get what you like out of yours, but that in absolutely no way makes it a bad, mediocre, or un-valuable amp.

BTW, the combo I have came to me loaded with two modules and a Celestion G12T75 speaker, for $600...that's considerably under a grand, and it's loud enough for any, and I mean ANY stage.
        Wow man, just wow. I never said they are bad amps, I said they don't excel in one particular area.

Also, you said "I have to respectfully disagree. The Blackface module I have sounds nothing like the XTC module," to which I stated no #$%@! A dirty module will sound different than the clean. That being said I also stated that their clean modules (clean, tweed, Blackface) tend to sound the same and their dirty modules (sl+, recto, treadplate, xtc, ultra) also tend to sound the same.

I respectfully disagree on the Blackface giving a fender sparkling clean tone. Yes it's modeled after the legendary clean tone, but due to the amps internal schematics, it's not a shimmery clean. It's kind of dull and sterile compared to an actual fender, vox ac. There's no warmth compared to a hiwatt, fryette, etc.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

I'm happy that you like the randall. I think it's innovating and pretty sweet conceptually. I'm glad it suits your needs. Judging by the youtube clips the OP posted, I don't believe that the randall is in his best interest for now or long term. But that's not up to me or you to decide.

The OP is asking for suggestions which is what we're doing. Whether it's good or bad experiences with amps, he should get both sides of it and make an educated judgement himself.
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
            I'm happy that you like the randall. I think it's innovating and pretty sweet conceptually. I'm glad it suits your needs. Judging by the youtube clips the OP posted, I don't believe that the randall is in his best interest for now or long term. But that's not up to me or you to decide.

The OP is asking for suggestions which is what we're doing. Whether it's good or bad experiences with amps, he should get both sides of it and make an educated judgement himself.
            Well, you just seem determined to be right, so we just gonna have to agree to disagree, and let the OP decide. Plenty of warmth and chime in the BF module if you simply turn the knobs. Plenty of Marshall crunch in the Plexi module. Both sounds the OP asked for.....
            Last edited by guitfiddle; 10-12-2012, 08:06 AM.
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
            X