Boss DS-2 Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss DS-2 Opinions?

Just a Boss but I am looking for something to go on my small board that can cover a wider range of thicker sounds.

I've played quite a few of Boss' ods and liked them in general. I did not like the DS-1s clipping much but it wasn't that bad. People on the internet say Turbo 1 (DS-1 mode) sounds like a slightly tamer DS-1 which might be nice.

and I know there is a lot of crap tones in that vid but there is some stuff I like too.
    Last edited by Andrew Lamprecht; 10-18-2012, 10:28 PM.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Boss DS-2 Opinions?

I got one not too long ago. (contact me if you'd like it because I'm not using it) Here's my take: I accepted it because I was thinking it could replace the DS-1 on my board, which I rarely use. I'd also wondered if it could take any of the same mods as a DS-1, but the circuit is different. The reasons you will like the "fake DS-1" side are the same reasons I don't like the DS-1 side. I keep a DS-1 around specifically because it's raspy and spitty. This DS-2 is smoother and more professional sounding.

Comment

if you keep it simple (and cheap) and get a ds-1, then there is all manner of easy mods you can do to tailor it to your taste on this site:

or you could buy a pre-sorted mod kit with instructions from monte allums etc
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-19-2012, 02:12 AM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I would take the ds2 over ds1 anyday

Comment

Let me be the first to throw something into the mix you didn't really ask for:

Maxon SD-9
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

My buddy has one, it's OK, the foot switchable channel thing is kinda cool. I've only heard it though a SS practice amp, so I don't know how it sounds through a real amp, can't be much worse than a DS-1 though, haha.

Comment

Stock I prefer the DS-2 over the DS-1 I even like channel 2 (turbo) as long as you don't try to use it as a marshall like pedal more a cool lead pedal it works. I use a DS-1 (that is modded) alot but maybe with mods the DS-2 could be awesome.
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

That "add a led to a DS-1" thing seems pretty easy....

I never got into the whole Boss combo pedals thing.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That demo... my ears bleed...
                  Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
                  Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                  Musicians are ****ing retards.
                  Originally posted by ex-250
                  Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

The amp is everything: I used it for a gig where I was given a twin reverb for amp- AMAZING. UNBELIEVEABLE. I wouldn't blame you if you didnt believe me, but the STOCK turbo distortion pedal i had turned that fender into a dual rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                      The amp is everything: I used it for a gig where I was given a twin reverb for amp- AMAZING. UNBELIEVEABLE. I wouldn't blame you if you didnt believe me, but the STOCK turbo distortion pedal i had turned that fender into a dual rectifier.
                      I completely believe this.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                        Let me be the first to throw something into the mix you didn't really ask for:

Maxon SD-9
                        Great pedal IMO and "better" to my ears than either a DS-1 or DS-2 but also about 4 times the price...
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          I completely believe this.
                          sarcasm?

there are clips somewhere.
                          Last edited by astrozombie; 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

If you play your cards right, you can snag a DS-2 off eBay for no more than $30 and it is well worth it.
                            "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

This....
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                              X