Loaded my 4x12 with EVM-12Ls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loaded my 4x12 with EVM-12Ls

While most are trying to lighten their rig and save their backs... I am either insane enough or stubborn enough to resist lol!

I loaded my 4x12 up with these and Holy Crap is it heavy!!! Never heard any thing like it either! I can't post pics from the phone, but I'll try later when I get home.

I've always wanted to try these speakers and a good deal came up on some. Very fat, clear and crushing is what I would say. I can crank the bass up full and it handles it with no problem and shakes the neighborhood. Makes my other cab with vintage 30s and 65 watt celestions almost sound muddy, even though that is a killer cab too.

I'm going to have to work out now if I want to gig this thing lol!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Re: Loaded my 4x12 with EVM-12Ls

Well at least you don't have to worry about too much amp power. But at 19lbs per that's 76lbs. What's that cab weight now 140? Ouch! But you're still young enough to manhandle it around.

Comment

Well, the efficiency of these speakers is multiple times that of typical guitar speakers, too. I hope you have a good power soak, or maybe you need to stack two

Comment

Two of those and two MS-12's was bad enough, hahahaha, brutal.

Comment

Hehehe. I am trying to out loud Spinal Tap! Kill animals as they get in a 50 ft radius!
          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

My only concern would be if my cabinet baffel could handle all that weight and percussion.
            Zakk Wylde gets massive , brutal sound form Active pickups and EV12L Cabinets...but I'm sure his cabs. are probably custom made.
            BTW, did you ever get that Dominion? I'm looking for one...
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Nope... Went back to the WCR Ironman

Comment

LOL! Yeah, Im still loving my 4x12s and want to get new speaks for my carvin, but dont know what to try. these sound killer from your description, but I sure dont need the added weight
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The weight on the baffle is a legit concern. The old Boogie cabs were hardcore. I don't think a stock Marshall could handle it.

Comment

The cabs I have are Chilly Bird 4x12s. 3/4" baltic birch all the way around. Finger joints and reinforced like a boogie. It can handle it . I read somewhere Zakk's cabs were made by Mojotone, but I don't know for sure. My cabs are monsters though lol.

Comment

I had a practice yesterday with the ev loaded cab. Very loud and full. Only complaint is I don't have that percussive chunk for gallups and palm mutes that I really like. It's not a muddy sound, just not as 'sharp' and I think it's because it doesn't roll off the bass frequencies.

I think I'm going to try 2 EVM-12Ls and 2 vintage 30s in an X pattern. A lot of folks do it with the 75 watt celestions, so this may be a cool mix. I will report back!
                      Last edited by xxxplorer; 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM. Reason: Added more.

Comment

I had a silverface Fender Pro Reverb in the early 80's that came loaded with EVM 12's.

Heaviest amp I've ever encountered!

Best clean sound I've ever heard!
                        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

try 2 fane speakers...
                          A friend of mine has an x pattern with EVMs...
                          That cab sounds huge and needs 3 people to move it...

Comment

I don't remember having that problem with my cab, it was a half back though. Maybe having the EV's in the bottom part and sealed up fixed that. That cab was easily the most badass **** ever, should never have sold that one.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post

I think I'm going to try 2 EVM-12Ls and 2 vintage 30s in an X pattern. A lot of folks do it with the 75 watt celestions, so this may be a cool mix. I will report back!
                              What about two G12-k 100's?
                              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                              X