banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a TONE!!! a Tone I've been hunting for many years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a TONE!!! a Tone I've been hunting for many years!

got my first Tube amp the other day (Traded a guitar to Lucid for it) nothing super special, but man is it different for me!!

Just got an OD pedal in trade from Andrew... MXR Classic OD It has a secret mod switch under the hood, that I couldn't resist pullin apart and switching it!
    quick pics of this:

secret switch here.

Put it back together, jammed for about 20 minutes... playing with knobs and tweaking amp settings here and there... Bloody Hell is this little 7/15watt amp loud! not quite my Randall 200w loud but LOUD! (big grin)

Now my cell phone has absolutely no sense of volume... it just takes ok video.
    But I really hastily captured the difference in fat bottom sound to 99.999% Sepultura Roots Bloody Roots...

So here is (amature cell phone sitting up against a rum and coke) a vid. What do you think? I think its got the same saggy tone... Of course being tuned down almost 2 steps makes it fatter and saggier too..

Using my White Dean ML autographed with a Duncan Alt-8 in the Bridge and settings captured...

I'm grinning.... and not just from the rum, but from that fat saggy, nasty raw tone... Thanks Lucid Buddy and Andrew Lamprecht as well!

Happy camper here!

Now if I could only sing like Cavalera!
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: I found a TONE!!! a Tone I've been hunting for many years!

Glad you're digging your new gear man! Enjoy in good health!
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I got a ZW-44 on Black Friday a couple years ago, and it's the same thing. What you can do is drill an extra hole through the pedal's chassis and wire a switch on the outside to the one on the inside. The only trick is to get the inner switch to release from the board. That way you can go back and forth between the two OD settings.

I hear a lot more scooped sound from the ZW setting, and more rounded mid-pushy tone from the GT-OD setting. If you've got any interest in doing this or just want to hear more, let me know.

Comment

Or just flip it on the board so it's switchable when the bottom plate is off. Thats how xcssve had his I bought, I need to bust it out again!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

love that video, really modern!

Comment

which side do you prefer? the zakk tone or the GT tone?
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
              X