banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever mark their settings on their pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone ever mark their settings on their pedals?

Originally posted by Davidandrew View Post
    I draw a diagram of all my settings and just carry it in a book with me. I also found the sweet spot on my amp and was so excited about it. It took me about 3 weeks to really dial it in perfect how I wanted it. Sadly my bass player walked by my amp one practice and just rolled every knob back to 0 I wanted to punch him in the throat but I couldn't stop laughing. Now I always try to diagram where my settings are.
    lol, bassplayers...

I go the picture route. Rarely have I written/diagrammed it out.
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

This looks kinda cool:

Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
        I had never done this before until Monday night. Finally I got tired of hunting for the magical spot for the volume knob on my plexitone and I grabbed a marker and marked it. I also marked my boost knob and tone knob. Now I turn the gain to my liking but I don't have to guess over and over again with the volume knob! It's so wonderful to not spend 5 minutes hunting for that setting everytime I set the pedal up (as I have for the past three rehearsals) or even worse, forgetting to set it and then hitting it for a solo only to find that it's SUPER-LUDICROUS-MELT-YOUR-EARS-THEN-YOUR-FACE kind of loud.

Anyone else gone this route?
        Have the same issues all the time with bumping my pedal settings during the show, so I started using Neat Nobs. So far I like them better than any marker or tape I've tried because the won't tear, they mark easy and my markings stay put (unlike some marker pen I tried that smudged off), and they don't leave a residue when I take them off the pedals. I trade/sell pedals often so that is important for me.

Comment

You can also just pull the knobs off and put them back on so that they all point at 12 o'clock (straight up) or 6 o'clock (straight down). Kind of like Nascar drivers do with their gauges - a quick glance and if everything is pointing straight up then all is good!
          (Nascar drivers rotate all their gauges so that the needles are pointing straight up when the temps and pressures are all in the "good" range. Or at least they used to. For all I know they use digital thingies these days?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            You can also just pull the knobs off and put them back on so that they all point at 12 o'clock (straight up) or 6 o'clock (straight down). Kind of like Nascar drivers do with their gauges - a quick glance and if everything is pointing straight up then all is good!
            (Nascar drivers rotate all their gauges so that the needles are pointing straight up when the temps and pressures are all in the "good" range. Or at least they used to. For all I know they use digital thingies these days?"
            True, but seems like a lot to do in the middle of a song in front of 800 people at a show.

Comment

I keep settings I like in a notebook. I'm always fiddling with stuff so when I hit on a sound I really like, I write it down for future reference.

Comment

I only have one pedal I use in my setup and it pretty much remains where it is (Ibanez Tubescreamer). Drive on zero, Tone 12 noon and level around 1 o'clock, I adjust this to suit wherever I'm playing, on stage, in a practice room etc.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I've been meaning to do the O-ring thing for two years now. If mod pedals get messed up, who cares but with gain stacking little changes in two pedals gain/volume gets really annoying to have to dial in every time the pedalboard goes in the bag!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    You can also just pull the knobs off and put them back on so that they all point at 12 o'clock (straight up) or 6 o'clock (straight down).
                    I saw that on a rig rundown and thought it was brilliant. I've used that a few times and it works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                      I just remember. Lots of things leak out of my head but pedal, amp, mixing board settings stick in there just fine.
                      This is me also.

During sound check, there is always a bit of tweaking to "tune" to the room, but I remember the basic settings.

Each pedal has a very specific purpose, and I only use a few so it isn't that complicated.

Comment

Working...
                      X