EVH 5150 III mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 5150 III mod

Sooo I thought the front panel on my 5150 III was a little understated, and since I it at home, decided to dress it up a little

The lights are being powered through my Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 on my pedalboard, and I have an upgraded Pedalsnake on the way so all wires go through one cable.
    Last edited by jmh151; 02-10-2013, 10:40 AM.

Re: EVH 5150 III mod

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
    Sooo I thought the front panel on my 5150 III was a little understated, and since I it at home, decided to dress it up a little

The lights are being powered through my Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 on my pedalboard, and I have an upgraded Pedalsnake on the way so all wires go through one cable.
    Having trouble posting the video, here's the youtube link

Comment

Nice. I need to do something to my amp. Would like to decorate it with a bunch of pagan stuff.

Comment

Very cool!!

Comment

Nice I can't wait for the Combo of this to come out
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Here you go, buddy.

Comment

Very cool, where did you get those from and what was the cost?

Comment

I'll bet it looks even better in person, especially with complete darkness in the room!
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I tried uploading pics of it in a darker room, but had problems posting last night, and posting another video.

Price was a gradual process, and depends how elaborate you want to go. If you just want to light up your head, you can go to an auto parts store and for $40 get apack of multi color LED strips with a multicolor controller, but it still needs a 12 volt power supply. You could run a 12 volt wall wart to the back of your head if you wanted to.

For mine, I already had a Pedaltrain pedalboard that I have Voodoo Lab PP2+ and Iso 5 power supplies on. I initially used the $40 auto parts set on my pedalboard to light it up from underneath like an import racing car, but that set isn't expandable. It looked great on the pedalboard, but then the amp looked a bit bare in comparison, so I had to do the amp. I'm also using a Pedalsnake to 4 cables in 1 from the pedalboard to the amp, so I have the 4 cable method working.

I saw other Pedaltrain users recommonding a site, Ozinium.com for the L.E.D.'s That's what the pro's use on the cars, you can run the strips in series, so it's expandable.

Each 24 inch LED strip cost $30 for multicolor RBG. If you're doing a multicolor setup, you also need a multicolor controller, which start at $30- I got the $70 one as it was recommended, and even comes with a remote control, so you can mount the unit under your board and just use the remote. There are cheaper controllers, but they have lees functions. Then you need a 12 volt supply. The LED strips I cut a few inches off as my rig is 20 inches wide.

If you only want one color, you can kep the strips in any 1 color for $7 cheaper a strip, and you won't need a multicolor controller, just a 12 volt supply.

Price- I had the Voodoo Lab power and Pedalsnake already, you could do this by just running a 12 volt supply behind your amp with the wall wart. So $30x3 for the 3 multicolor strips, $70 for the controller, a few extention cables under $10, or you could make your own. Again, if you prefer just one color, for you don't need the coltroller and can order single color strips.

My Pedalsnake I'm upgrading from a 4 channel to a 7 channel to run the power for the LED's cleanly from the pedalboard to the amp- but the pedalsnake's an investment in itself, its not necessary, nor is the Voodoo Lab power supply or Pedaltrain

Comment

awesome man!
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

EVH 5150 III mod

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                      Nice I can't wait for the Combo of this to come out
                      I don't think you'll see the combo- since it would essentially just be a little smaller than the head and 1x12- if you didn't notice, those are 2 1x12's, not 4x12's. It looks like a full stack but its a mini.

There's also a different controller I may experiment with that reacts to sound- it has a mic and a line in, changes color, flash rate, etc.. according to the music, so it would be interesting to see how that would work out

Comment

EVH 5150 III mod

What's cool is you could be as creative as you want with this- I saw someone that put blue LEDs on the bottom of the cabinet, green on top, so on the speaker gill it gradually faded from green to blue.

The way I did it, everything's totally reversible if I ever decide to take it off and sell the rig, which isn't happening anytime soon

Comment

EVH 5150 III mod

They also have ultraviolet (black light) LED's for anyone planning on doing some psychedelic stuff

Comment

Here's a darker video, towards the end it shows the flash effects, dimmer it can do

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                              I don't think you'll see the combo- since it would essentially just be a little smaller than the head and 1x12- if you didn't notice, those are 2 1x12's, not 4x12's. It looks like a full stack but its a mini.

Comment

Working...
                              X