Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tell me what I want!!!!

Originally posted by EET_FUK View Post
    I guess I should have worded this a bit differently. How bout "What do you prefer and why?"
    For your application? A post 2010 Dual Rectifer.

Why? Great (famous) tone, good effects loop, good EQ, decent amount of options on the channels and on the back of the amp, sounds great with most guitars, and it can go from decent cleans to big chunky chunks like *snaps* THAT.

I have one and use it for music similar to what you mentioned, so I may be a bit biased, but you did ask me what I preferred. And there ya go.

If you don't want 3 channels to deal with get the 2-Ch version from the 90's. The effects loop isn't as nice and there's not as many options but the tone is a weeee bit more organic.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      For your application? A post 2010 Dual Rectifer.

Why? Great (famous) tone, good effects loop, good EQ, decent amount of options on the channels and on the back of the amp, sounds great with most guitars, and it can go from decent cleans to big chunky chunks like *snaps* THAT.

I have one and use it for music similar to what you mentioned, so I may be a bit biased, but you did ask me what I preferred. And there ya go.

If you don't want 3 channels to deal with get the 2-Ch version from the 90's. The effects loop isn't as nice and there's not as many options but the tone is a weeee bit more organic.
      Hmm. I thought about a recifier but from what I've heard the Mark V would be better for my applications. Tighter bass, and faster response + versatility.

In a perfect world I wouldn't have to choose. *sighs*

Comment

Hmm. I thought about a recifier but from what I've heard the Mark V would be better for my applications. Tighter bass, and faster response + versatility.

In that case, the only thing left to do is go try them both out for a while. The Mark V is a cool amp but it's a different amp than the Dual Rec.

Comment

My point exactly.

One guy says x is perfect. Another guy says y is perfect. You know what opinions are like. You have no idea until you play them both.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            My point exactly.

One guy says x is perfect. Another guy says y is perfect. You know what opinions are like. You have no idea until you play them both.
            Thanks for the helpful advice.
            I know tone is subjective, and I need to try everything out before I make a purchase, and, like I said, I probably should have worded everything a bit differently. I was really just wondering about what others thoughts were about the topic at hand.

Comment

Yes, the Mark V is definitely very, very different from the Recto. The Mark's high gain tone is thick, chewy, and round. Big emphasis on lows and low mids, and in some modes the low end can get completely out of hand. The trick to a nice tight high gain with the Mark amps is to keep the bass control down and use the low bands on the graph EQ to boost it while also cutting the mids (aka scooped EQ).

Honestly, I would not choose a Mark V for a rhythm player. It's a killer lead player's amp because of the mid emphasis and the singing, molten lava feel it has.

I am going to agree with B2D's post-2010 Dual Rec recommendation for the reasons he stated.
              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

My vote is for the Blackstar Series one 6L6 you mentioned earlier. But the Orange amps are great as well just a different sound. I will say Blackstars have great versatility and a wide range of tones but you really should try one if you get the chance to.
                Originally posted by KBliss
                WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                Originally posted by trevorus
                The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Hey Rockstar.
                  How does that Blackstar head compare to the other suggestions? What cab would you recommend?

Comment

I have never played one but on the Blackstar forum I haven't heard a bad complaint yet about em. I own HT 40 combo and love it. As far as comparisons I can't really say I never owned a Head and cab just combos. I will say from what I've heard and seen from reviews about the Head it has a S#$@t load of gain more then most would ever need but it's very versatile like a Dual rec but Blackstars let you voice the amp to sound more british or american sounding or anywhere in between that why it has such a wide range of tones for just about any style of music and the head has a emulated out for recording or running through the PA and has a built in power reduction for scaling down wattage but has no verb.

Here is the company vid for it.
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

This is a more in depth review of the amp.

The only other amp I would tell you to look at is a EVH 5150. It's the one of two amps I would choose over a Blackstar Series one

Comment

Man, that Blackstar looks incredible. Too bad practically no shops have any of em laying around to mess around with.

Comment

Working...
                        X