Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD x2 - It's Been a While Edition, + Fuzz

It's been a while, hasn't it?

After having used the Foxrox CC Hybrid for a few months, I was kind of over it. It was too shrill through my rig, and it had more gain than I wanted for that kind of sound. As much as I love my Tri/Ram (without a doubt one of my favorite pedals ever) I wanted a different flavor of big muff, so I picked up an older model Pharaoh. So far, I really like it. Between the input switch and the diodes/no diodes option, you get a lot of options. The dual tone controls take a bit of getting used to, but it's pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it.

I was also tired of my Polytune Mini's inaccuracy, so I got a Turbo Tuner. I just got that today, so I can't comment on it yet. Looks cool though, and it's hardly bigger than the PT Mini. Seriously, I had to move the Sunface (which was pressed right up against the out jack of the PT Mini) over maybe a quarter inch to fit the TT on there.

The empty spaces bother me, though. Once they're available in the states again, I'll be snatching up a Weehbo JMP Drive for one spot, and some kind of tonebender to finish off my pedalboard. Once all of that's done, I'll be close to done. I'd like to pick up a few other fuzzes so I have options if I ever want something different, and maybe a different boost to trade out the Timmy every now and again, but the core of my pedalboard is done.
    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: NPD x2

Cool!

I have to ask...is the Polytune Mini less accurate than the full size one?

The full size Polytune is accurate +/- .5 cents in "needle" mode...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: NPD x2

I've never used the full size one, so I can't comment on that.

However, it was frustrating when the needle mode would register all of the strings in tune, but the polytune would have a string or two IIRC the low e or the b string) as out of tune.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Re: NPD x2 - It's Been a While Edition, + Fuzz

with my big polytune, in polytune mode it is a tiny bit off compared to single string mode, but not by much!

Comment

What really bothered me about that is that I never knew which one to trust. Now I only have one option, but that one option will be more accurate than either option that the Mini offered.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

I want a Pharaoh!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
              What really bothered me about that is that I never knew which one to trust. Now I only have one option, but that one option will be more accurate than either option that the Mini offered.
              cool man, I dig your fuzz pedal quest, especially cause you have a Pharaoh like me

the polytune mode is definitely not for fine tuning. on my normal sized polytune, it has two functional ONESTRING tuner types, the tuner that spins in a circle, and the dial type tuner. I could not imagine my tuner being any more accurate on the ONESTRING settings.

polytune: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...ic-pedal-tuner

73 user reviews so far!

I use STREAM MODE, here is their description:

Tuning modes
              The two separate chromatic tuning modes cater to your individual preferences and needs. Needle mode is for those that are used to the classic view on a tuner. Stream-mode is for musicians that want a little more real-time information. The Stream mode measures even the slightest pitch variation and instantly feeds the info back via a rotating motion on the display.

Tuning magnet
              Key to both these great chromatic modes is an ultra-fast and precise response, which is achieved via the use of the unique tuner magnet feature. This slows down the needle once you get close to the desired pitch, making it much easier to get the job done quickly.

Comment

Nice selection of pedals on that board!

You might want to try moving that Pharaoh over when you get your new OD. OD into the Pharaoh is a great sound. At least I like it better than fuzz into OD.
                Last edited by Lazarus1140; 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Honestly, I'm not much of a pedal stacker. I tried doing it for a while, and I had some great pedals for it (rats, tube screamers, various marshall in a box pedals) and I just found that one dirt pedal at a time (barring a boost on top of something for solos) is more than enough for the way I play. Plus, I find it makes my signal far too compressed. I have had some great tones in the past though - My old TS-9 into a Box of Rock sounded killer!
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Great looking board.

Question: Do you have any issues fitting it in the case with the connectors sticking out over the sides like that?
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      Great looking board.

Question: Do you have any issues fitting it in the case with the connectors sticking out over the sides like that?
                      Not really. Although you can't see it in the pictures because I forgot that I had unplugged it, the Vibe Machine has a jack on it hanging off the edge too. It's a bit snug, but it fits in perfectly.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

I'm about to send an email to Skinpimp to see if they're currently able to make a MKII to my specs (battery on/off switch and LED indicator). I've been wanting to get a nice Tonebender for a long time now, and since I just got a new job I think it's time I treat myself to something nice.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Do you have any clips of your band I can listen to?

Comment

I do (we have a soundcloud that I'm about to put in my signature) but honestly, those recording are really crappy. Our demo should be out within the next week or two, and I'll make an announcement when it's done.

EDIT: Wow, I just listened to the recordings we have up on Soundcloud. Seriously, they're EXTREMELY crude representations of the way we sound now. When we recorded those, we'd been playing together for maybe two months, and those songs were a few weeks old. We're much better now that we've played a few gigs and have been practicing those song's asses off. Especially Orb of Power - that demo has only one riff, while the actual song has so much more to offer.

Tl;dr don't listen to our stuff yet, and if you do don't judge us until our demo's out.
                            Last edited by Agileguy_101; 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Then I shall wait. Thanks.
                              (I have avatars and sigs disabled)

Comment

Working...
                              X