Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new OD...

Straying away from my Boss SD-1.

I feel like however I set it up, it still retains that upper mid/treble "bump", and I'm not really looking for that in my tone right now.
    It lacks in bass as well. I do like how it helps distorted chords retain clarity, and I love the crunch it has, but i want something fuller and something without that inherent mid/upper mid bump and compression.
    For reference, I have the tone knob on zero, and it's still there.

Been really looking at the Nobels ODR-1. I'm open for some more suggestions --> I only want to spend <$100.

Thoughts?

Re: Looking for a new OD...

modify it. swap out C3 (its marked on the PCB) from .047 to .1uf cpacitor. That will increase the low end considerably and cost you less than a dollar.
    You can also reduce the amount of compression by replacing one of the clipping diodes (preferably d4) for an LED (any old 3mm LED will do) . This will give you a touch less grit but more volume, headroom and smoothness- just make sure you have the LED correctly aligned.
    Replacing c2 (.018uf) for a .1uf cap will reduce the mid bump too.
    The potential mod list goes on and on, but if you want to keep things simple, simply swapping out c3 will make a huge and noticeable difference. Try it and see how you like it.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      modify it. swap out C3 (its marked on the PCB) from .047 to .1uf cpacitor. That will increase the low end considerably and cost you less than a dollar.
      You can also reduce the amount of compression by replacing one of the clipping diodes (preferably d4) for an LED (any old 3mm LED will do) . This will give you a touch less grit but more volume, headroom and smoothness- just make sure you have the LED correctly aligned.
      Replacing c2 (.018uf) for a .1uf cap will reduce the mid bump too.
      The potential mod list goes on and on, but if you want to keep things simple, simply swapping out c3 will make a huge and noticeable difference. Try it and see how you like it.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that...

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
        I wouldn't even know where to begin with that...
        For pretty much all Boss pedals, I like to start with a 1" bit and go from there.

Just buy a Rat.
        Or better yet, 2 Rats.
        Last edited by MojoMonster; 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM.
        MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
        Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

I love my stock ratII that cost me $70! but it is not an overdrive, it is a distortion.

I vote for saving $50 and getting a black arts toneworks black forest overdrive! that is what I would get for my SLUDGY DOWNTUNED HEAVY ROCK

Comment

Have you considered a SD Lava box?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Send it to analogman and be forever happy!
              - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
              - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
              - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
              - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
              - Tungsten Buckwheat
              - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
              - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
              - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Try the MXR Badass Overdrive, stupid name but a great pedal. The pedal has a treble and bass knob both of which have a very big effect on the sound/tone, if you need more lows this pedal would help you out. Also has a mid boost/button simiar to the OCD in case you need it. MXR has really stepped up thier game as of late, the peadals are built well as well as sounding great.

Comment

Don't listen to these people OP, the Nobels ODR-1 is a wonderful pedal. I'm sure it'd be great with your amp, too. The low end on that thing is wonderful. I miss my old one and I wish I still had it. Maybe I'll pick one up sometime soon...
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47 View Post
                    BTW, your name is 'Frog'man, so you must send it to 'Analog'man ahhhh har har
                    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                    - Tungsten Buckwheat
                    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Just my two cents. I had a Boss Metal Zone I was not too crazy for. But then I had it modded by SolidGold FX and when I got it back it was a totally different pedal. They also do mods for the SD-1 as well...Here is the excerpt from their website...Mod costs $50

Boss SD-1 Mod
                      Raw, Open, Crunchy yet Smooth Overdrive Heaven. More Bass, Less Thin Fizzy Distortion, Higher Output...Sweet sweet Drive!

Low Noise IC for a smoother more transparent tone and less noise.
                      Hi-Fi Mods for better clarity and response.
                      Output Boost
                      Tone Shaping mods for a more full and less tinny tone.
                      More Dynamic and Responsive to Picking and Guitar Volume
                      3mm Super Bright Clear LED
                      Price: Standard mod 50$

Canadian-made Guitar Pedals & Effects since 2006. Builders of quality and globally-renowned SolidGoldFX and Diamond Pedals.
                      _

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny47 View Post

His username isn't pulling up in a search.. (?)

Comment

Analog Man Guitar effects pedals, where WE DO PEDALS RIGHT! All the best vintage, boutique, and new pedals and modifications.
                          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

The Boss OD3 is great - no mid hump and doesn't cut the low end either. A terrific pedal for not much cash.

Comment

Marshall Guvnr Plus. Cheap like $62 and built great.
                              Nice relief from my mid hump OD pedals. It's smooth, and thick sounding. Great Marshall crunch sound and feel.
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
                              X