Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is solid-state dead?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    I've got one on it's way ^_^ I have no doubt it will be as badass as I think it is. (Arsenal Predator)
    awesome. Definitely let me know what you think of it
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

If the question is will transistor based amps dominate the market again ... maybe not... but transistor based stuff is very important. I have to laugh at some guitarist's attitude where tube is always better (these are the kinda people that see a mic preamp with a tube in it and think itll be the best as opposed to maybe an SSL or Neve preamp which is solid-state...). I like the sound of SS for certain things, it is tighter and punchier and has a lot more headroom for cost and heat. For guitar I love tube amps like AC30s but also like the sound of solid state distortion on top of valve distortion (fuzz pedals, FET based distortion pedals, diode distortion). For bass I prefer the tightness of Solid State. I actually want to get a solid state power amp and use the post transformer line out on my amp to get a higher wattage and a dry/wet rig (not very practical for gigging though). I more worry about the state of discrete circuits altogether. Outside of the audio world they have a lot less importance and many transistors are going out of production (or have ran out of stock).
      Gondola Kid
      Bandcamp
      Facebook
      JimijaymesGuitarist
      Youtube

Comment

No
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a Tech21 Trademark 10 that kicks a$$! I wonder how many players would actually be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test. To me the advantage of a tube amp lies in the way the tubes respond when you hit a note and power amp distortion. So many player run their Tube Screamers into their master volume amps that it wouldn't really make a difference what they used.
          Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I just picked up the 1998 Bandit 112 and 112SX Cab a few weeks ago for about $300 both are in excellent condition too. I no longer have any Tube amps I think this amp sounds great for the type of music I play... so for me SS is far from dead!

Here is a little clip of it while I was testing out my new pickups (SD 35th Anniversary JB/Jazz set!

Last edited by J.LaGrassa; 06-12-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Sounded great, J.!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                Sounded great, J.!
                Thanks, the amp is a lot of fun to play and hopefully maintenance free... best thing is there are no tubes to worry about!

Comment

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa View Post
                  Thanks, the amp is a lot of fun to play and hopefully maintenance free... best thing is there are no tubes to worry about!
                  Those USA Peavey Bandits are tone monsters which are built like F'n tanks as well. I love mine and would never part with it.

Comment

For a Solid State amp its got some weight to it, USA version is definitely built very well.

Comment

• Re: Is solid-state dead?

I'd love to try the new orange crush pro series. One of my all time favorite guitar sounds is crowbar, and up until recently Kirk used SS Randalls I think. I know early on he used Marshalls with a boss metal zone. Now he uses the orange Thunderverb, but I bet the new SS orange amps can get that tone.
                      Last edited by chris effect; 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM.
                      "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I just sold one of my Lab Series L2 heads w/matching 15" cab to a local blues player today.
                        He was having trouble keeping up with his Blues Jr. vs his other guitarist Super Reverb.
                        The smile on his face when I plugged my Strat into the L2 told me instantly that
                        SS is not dead, we just need to explore the design possibilities more, much like Moog/Lab Series.
                        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

have you heard the Vox AV with 2 tubes? could that be fake too?

Comment

The Roland JC has been used by more famous names than you might think..including Metallica as well as pop and Jazz stars...still in production after 40 plus years, so they must have something going for them...

Comment

Taking the pros and cons of SS & Valve, a hybrid with solid state (analogue) clean channel, which they do well and tube driven overdrive-that tubes tend to do better than SS always seemed a good idea. The Marshall Valve State from the' 90 s was one good example..but clearly not everyone thinks so...
                              Last edited by Gold star; 03-08-2019, 06:52 AM.

Comment

YES

Comment

Working...
                                X