Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is solid-state dead?

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
    I disagree with this. With Mustang I's costing $119.99 its a pretty hard sell for a peavey Rage 258.
    ever play the roland Cubes?

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
      Randall just updated and re-released the RG series of amps. It looks like the RG line has expanded, with multiple models and now includes a preamp/power amp pedal.
      The RG13 is great too! Just spent a month on the road with one as my primary touring preamp. It's a modern twist on the RG100 sound and it slays!
      Proudly endorsing B.C Rich Guitars, Moniker Custom Guitars, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Line 6 Amplification, Matrix Poweramps, Toontrack, MacBeth Shoes, In Tune Guitar Picks and Ultimate Ears in ear monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by jimman View Post
        I think that is the problem. People tend to perceive solid state amps as cheap beginner amps and tube amps as what experienced musicians use. That is why the focus is now on making non tube amps sound like tube amps.
        Exactly. A lot of people forget that if you started out playing electric guitar in the 50's you most likely played through something like a Fender Champ.

Comment

There's a decent amount of tube amps I have played that weren't "bottom of the barrel" that I thought sounded inferior to my amp for what I need out of it. My amp is 100% solid state. Would like certain tube amps but SS v. Tube is really just like actives v. passives. People on both sides have been able to get amazing sounds out of each, so just use what you like and what you think sounds best.

I have a Kustom Quad 200 Head with a B-52 AT412 4x12 cabinet. Would like to get the matching head for the B-52 and call it a day with the half-stack rig using the Kustom as a backup. Then I'd get a Vox AC30 and be done with amps.
          Last edited by Myaccount876; 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
            The Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120 does have built-in distortion. It is foot-switchable and it sounds appalling.
            I don't think you buy a JAZZ Chorus for its distortion. I played with a guy that used one his tone was on point but he had a POD HD 500 at his feet as well
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Nah mang...

Nah.

Comment

I actually think that solid state is taking over from tubes, as evidenced by the modeling products such as the POD HD and the AxeFx.
                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Back in the day I had a 100 watt Sunn Beta Lead - 100 watts 2x12 combo, as I recall. That mo fo was loud and kicked a lot of ass. I like tube amps myself, but a well made SS amp can be great too. A lot of those old Sunn and Acoustic amps were pretty amazing.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                    I actually think that solid state is taking over from tubes, as evidenced by the modeling products such as the POD HD and the AxeFx.
                    I went and reread my original post, and I am not sure I was entirely clear. If I was, then you missed the point entirely.

I'm not talking about amps like the Blackstar ID series. They have knobs to switch between different virtual tube types. And I'm not talking about modeling, which is designed to sound like a tube. I'm talking about amps that unapologetically say, "No, there aren't any tubes in here. It's not supposed to sound like that. You gotta problem? Hit the bricks." And the only amps in the past twenty years or so that I can think of off the top of my head are the ones Randall built.

Now, I don't think there are any, at least not in the main stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                      Then I'd get a __________ and be done with amps.
                      Famous last words
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

I'd say solid state is ACTUALLY getting stronger. Technology is getting closer and closer to replicating tubes, might even surpass them one day. And hybrids exist that can give you the best of both worlds. My opinion is it's a growing trend. If it sounds good it sounds good, be it made in china, india, korea, solid state, digital, etc.
                        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                          Is there anything out there that does NOT intend to sound like a tube amp?
                          I'd say the Orange Crush series. They've been pretty up front about the fact that they aren't tube or modeling amps. They've also just made a 60 watt solid state version of the Rockerverb. Those, or the Marshall MG series. Those are my best guesses.

Comment

I certainly hope so.

I want a digital watch with tubes in it instead of silicon.
                            Last edited by crusty philtrum; 05-24-2013, 04:17 AM.
                            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                              Well you can't ignore all the distortion pedals of the world. Whether you feed a tube or SS amp/power section anyone using one of the billion distortion pedals is using solid state, yeah even boutique ones. LOL. It's just a format shift. It's not something the consumer is paying high dollar for in an amp right now. But people pay good money for a Triple Wreck, so the demand for quality SS drive is there, just in a different format.
                              This.

We went from high-dollar pedals with tubes through solid-state amplification to high-dollar solid-state pedals with tube amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                                I don't think you buy a JAZZ Chorus for its distortion. I played with a guy that used one his tone was on point but he had a POD HD 500 at his feet as well
                                I loved the distortion in my jazz chorus. Granted I needed a stomp box for my more saturated stuff but for blues and classic rock it was great. You are on point though that is not the main reason someone would buy that amp. I also used an analog distortion with a tube preamp with mine to warm it up. Damn I miss that setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X