upcoming NAD: DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: upcoming NAD: DSL

I used a 2x12 with them for a long time, before I even knew how important speakers were, and they still sucked after being broken in. YMMV
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

OK I'll make an attempt to break it in but no promises
      really tho worst case scenario is I don't like it and have more time to figure out what I do want.

LOL when I got my DRRI the C12K was in there for about 3 days before I had a texas heat in there and then 2 months later a G12M-alike from Weber. That time I couldn't resist the urge to yank that C12K, but at least this time it's not like I have extra speakers laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        OK I'll make an attempt to break it in but no promises
        really tho worst case scenario is I don't like it and have more time to figure out what I do want.

LOL when I got my DRRI the C12K was in there for about 3 days before I had a texas heat in there and then 2 months later a G12M-alike from Weber. That time I couldn't resist the urge to yank that C12K, but at least this time it's not like I have extra speakers laying around.
        Not saying to keep it forever just that it's not as big a POS as these guys are making the speaker to be. Many find them quite usable in some apps including myself.
        I would tweak the tubes in the Pre first and give the speaker a little time to warm and loosen up as it breaks in rather than just yanking it. The used DSL-40C I played in the shop last week with the stock but broken in Seventy/80 really sounded nice.
        Last edited by Ascension; 10-15-2013, 11:19 AM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
          I used a 2x12 with them for a long time, before I even knew how important speakers were, and they still sucked after being broken in. YMMV
          Same, they sounded like crap with every head I tried it with.
          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I actually got my DSL 100 (made in England) out of storage a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't re tubed it since it was new, lol. The amp is not the same as yours exactly but I can tell you a little about how I set mine up. Since it's bright I went with JJ EL34L's and actually left all the preamp tubes stock except for V1 where I put in a NOS vintage 12 AX7. Sounds better than it ever has. Also, at least in my experience, the red channel is lacking for real hard rock lead gain sounds...actually sounds good on the lower gain settings for rhythm stuff. For a lead rock/metal lead sound on this amp I set the green channel up to crunch and then add an overdrive or distortion in front of it. WAY better for my tastes than the red channel stock as I just don't care for it's voicing. Also, I don't like it with G12T75's (which would be one choice for you if you were going to replace the speaker). Sounds far better with G12H30's (but not in your 1x12 unless you want to take a chance on blowing it) or even Vintage 30s.

A LOT of folks rag on DSL amps but they can sound great with the right setup.

IMO/YMMV
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
              For a lead rock/metal lead sound on this amp I set the green channel up to crunch and then add an overdrive or distortion in front of it. WAY better for my tastes than the red channel stock as I just don't care for it's voicing. Also, I don't like it with G12T75's (which would be one choice for you if you were going to replace the speaker). Sounds far better with G12H30's (but not in your 1x12 unless you want to take a chance on blowing it) or even Vintage 30s.
              That's exactly how I use my DSL50. Green channel in crunch mode, boost with an OD for solos. I have a 2x12 cab with V30 / G12H-30. I haven't found anything I like in the red channel - one day I may get around to the C12 mod. Even without using the red channel I love this amp because the green channel crunch mode is so good.

Comment

OK gonna start a new thread... I went to go pick up the DSL and had to play the OR15 one more time to make sure... the outcome came out different in round 2!

Comment

Working...
                X