upcoming NAD: DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming NAD: DSL

got my deposit down but I couldn't wait til I actually got it in my hands, like a lot of people posting "new gear" threads...
    anyways I'm picking it up on wednesday when I have the day off.

Anyways I'm getting a DSL40C!
    Some may remember I used to own a DSL50 and I used it with a little vox cab, well I used to think it was too loud for my living arrangements so I traded and got a Tweaker 15... tweaker was cool but was a jack of all trades, master of none (for me). Traded the tweaker for a DRRI which has a supreme clean tone and reverb.

I was at GC the other day and plugged into a DSL40C and liked it a lot. It it was what I remember... a freaking sweet green channel and a red channel that sounds thin unless you crank it. but when you do it has lots of hard rock available. So it's like 2 amps in one unless you clip the red channel bright cap... which I may do.

Almost got the OR15... but the DSL just seemed a lot more versatile. OR15 really had some cool fuzziness.

I WILL have to replace the dang seventy/80 speaker... I could tell from a few min of playing that something different is needed... the seventy/80 is too bright/clean/transparent... need something warm but without too much bass... maybe a G12-65 or equivalent

Re: upcoming NAD: DSL

Nice. The new DSLs are good bang for the buck. That 40w sounds good!

Congrats!
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I don't even know why Celestion makes the Seventy/80. I would imagine they get a kickback from amp manufacturers who are able to slap a "Celestion Speakers" sticker on their combos and add $100 to the price. I can't tell you how much I despise that speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        I don't even know why Celestion makes the Seventy/80. I would imagine they get a kickback from amp manufacturers who are able to slap a "Celestion Speakers" sticker on their combos and add $100 to the price. I can't tell you how much I despise that speaker.
        I had two Seventy/80's in my first decent amp. They're terrible and I will never use them again. Almost any other 12" speaker is better than the Seventy/80.
        Last edited by Agileguy_101; 10-13-2013, 08:10 PM.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I think the 70/80 is usable for metal & hard rock at low volumes. I wouldn't want a 4 x 12 filled with them though, lol

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
            I think the 70/80 is usable for metal & hard rock at low volumes. I wouldn't want a 4 x 12 filled with them though, lol
            I wouldn't want a garbage can filled with them! Sorry about the derail, bro.

Comment

seventy/80 sucks!

Comment

Back to the DSL - nice! You have to run it in stereo with the DRRI. One for clean, one for crunch (or even both at the same time)... man that would be a f'n awesome rig.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

OK so,
                  Shopping list for getting the most out of a new DSL40C:
                  new EL34s (tung-sol? svetlana?)
                  new speaker (leaning towards WGS ET65)
                  A/B/Y box (leaning towards radial twin city)
                  couple more dirt boxes (SD-1, russian big muff, Rat)

I'm thinking of what order to do these in, can't afford em all at once.
                  I'm thinking the speaker is first, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                    OK so,
                    Shopping list for getting the most out of a new DSL40C:
                    new EL34s (tung-sol? svetlana?)
                    new speaker (leaning towards WGS ET65)
                    A/B/Y box (leaning towards radial twin city)
                    couple more dirt boxes (SD-1, russian big muff, Rat)

I'm thinking of what order to do these in, can't afford em all at once.
                    I'm thinking the speaker is first, definitely.
                    1) Speaker
                    2)A/B/Both (I used a Radial ab box before. More basic than the twin city but build quality was top notch)
                    3) Pedals
                    4) Tubes
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      I had two Seventy/80's in my first decent amp. They're terrible and I will never use them again. Almost any other 12" speaker is better than the Seventy/80.

I 2nd that statement !!!
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I woulda got the OR15... those amps are killer!! happy soon to be new amp day!
                        Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                        Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                        Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          fizziest brightest speakers ever made !! lol
                          Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
                          Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
                          Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

Marshall tubes not so great.

After the speaker swap, I would start with tubes.No sense in a AB box, if you never want to switch over to the other amp
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                              Agreed on the 70/80 being usable once broken in. I have a good buddy who swears by the Seventy/80's in his 4/12's for 7 string metal stuff.
                              Here is a clip of his Carvin X100's and the 70/80 loaded cabs. Keith's tones with his Seventy/80 loaded 4/12 cabs are anything BUT thin and fizzy!!!

I find the Seventy/80 to be anything but overly bright and fizzy so I don't understand that talk here. A 70/80 came stock in my Blackstar 1/12 and while right now it's not in that cab ( WGS Retro 30) I still have it so it's not like I don't know these speakers. I find the 70/80 to be a little dark and and loose in the bottom but in the right cab or amp they can be quite nice. I have considered dropping it back in the Blackstar to run exclusively with my Jet City as that combo works quite well together. If someone does not snag the Jet City soon I may pull it off the market and go that rout.
                              Bottom line here is don't buy all this 70/80 hate and break it in before you abandon it quite so quickly. I played a used DSL40C last week that I thought sounded really good with the broken in 70/80 it had in it.
                              Last edited by Ascension; 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X