banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KT-77s Anybody here tried them? Other tube questions as well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT-77s Anybody here tried them? Other tube questions as well.

I was looking at different EL34 offerings and came across the Gold Lion KT-77s. They are expensive but look and sound promising and are supposed to be a direct replacement for EL34s.

Also I was looking at some 12AX7s and so far I'm looking towards Svetlana's, Tung-Sols, and some called "Preferred Series" from thetubestore web site.

Any info and recommendation are welcomed.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: KT-77s Anybody here tried them? Other tube questions as well.

They should be relatively close in specs, and they can handle a wide range of voltages, so they should be fine in most modern guitar amps. Be sure to get the amp biased!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I have used them in my Marshall, the JJ version. Nice tube, big sound, more hi-fi sounding. A little more headroom before breakup. Also a little more 'thunk' out of the speakers. The JJ versions seem to be a bit more physically delicate than say, an EL34, or 6L6.
      Also, they are a big bigger (taller) than EL34s, so if you are using a head, make sure you have enough clearance for them.
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I had KT77's in my Komet when I bought it. The Komet 60 can handle just about any power tubes, but when I bought the amp a few years ago it had the KT77's. About a year ago I had them replaced with a set of Svetlana EL34's. The 34's I find to be a little cleaner sounding now that I have the amp dialed pretty much where I like it. In fact I A/B my Komet with a Shiva & I hardly ever use the cleans on the Shiva. The Shiva cleans are more Fenderish by comparison. The Reverb is superb BUT the Komet just kills everything I have compared it to. The way I use the amp is I keep it set for a fairly clean setting with single coils & humbuckers just push it just a tad more into slight overdrive. If I back the volume off on the guitar it cleans up beautifully and sparkles with the best Marshally cleans I have heard. When I need drive I switch over to the Shiva.

The way I would describe KT77's is they are somewhere in between the EL34 & 6L6 tone. I also have the Komet hooked up to a Marshall 4 12" with greenbacks which is absolutely the right speaker to use with this wonderful amp. Now that I have had both I would probably keep the EL34's. There is just something magical about how everything shimmers with these tubes.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have a set of Bugle boy 12 AX7's in my Komet. But when it comes to proper tubes I just leave it up to my amp tech. I dont really know that much about them. He starts telling me about plate voltage & stuff like that then he realizes he is wasting his breath. I haven't got a clue what any of that means. I just tell himn to make my amp sound good...... and he does.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
            I had KT77's in my Komet when I bought it.

The way I would describe KT77's is they are somewhere in between the EL34 & 6L6 tone.
            That sounds like the place where I might find my tone!
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

The Tung-Sol RI EL-34s are supposed to have a hint of 6L6 flavor in their tone as well, so that also might be something to consider.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I'm on my second set of Tung Sol EL34s. I had a redplating issue with the first set but this was the amp's fault, not the tubes - I had to re-tension the sockets. They are GREAT tubes and markedly superior to the original tubes.

Comment

I've tried JJ KT77s and to me they sounded possibly the closest to the original broken-in Tesla EL-34s in my JCM900 from back when I bought it. In my experience, the JJ KT77s had earlier and more gradual break up and a much smoother sound and smoother top end than the Svetlana EL34s in there now.

Comment

Working...
                  X