* http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-studio20h/ - HT Studio 20

Just curious . . .

. . . vote now.
    Roadhouse 30 head
    90.91%
    HT Studio 20 head
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Cornford Roadhouse 30 vs Blackstar HT Studio 20

I thought Cornford stopped making amps? Didn't the factory burn down and one of the owners get real sick?
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

No, you can't get them anymore. I have one and it's terrific. Blackstar are not in the same league.

Comment

I own a Blackstar HT-40 but between the two you mentioned it would depend on what I use it for. I like the Cornford for low gain to medium gain tones but I like the Blackstar because it has a dedicated clean and dirt channel and can do hard rock to metal but can't crunch like a Cornford.
        Originally posted by KBliss
        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
        Originally posted by trevorus
        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
          I thought Cornford stopped making amps? Didn't the factory burn down and one of the owners get real sick?
          Originally posted by richard parker View Post

No, you can't get them anymore. I have one and it's terrific. Blackstar are not in the same league.
          Oh bugger . . . i did not know that :-(
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

This is not a poll, this is a massacre....
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I'm not biased in any way!

Comment

I have the HT20 combo, but I'll go for the Cornford.
                1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
                1992 Fernandes Telecaster
                2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
                2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
                2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
                2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
                Friedman Runt 50

Comment

Cornford without a doubt, although as has already been mentioned they are no longer making amps so there wouldn't be any support for it. Blackstar have great customer support, but their HT series is a bit 'bland-sounding' compared to the Cornford...IMO of course!

The Roadhouse 30 was on my shopping list of amps before I ended up with my JTM-45...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

It's a silly idea to compare an expensive, boutique amp with a value model commercial amp. Asking that question is like asking: "what do you prefer - a slow painful death or a quick painless one?"

The Series One models are. You can't make a blanket statement about all of Blackstar amps because their Series One and Artisan series are some of the best amps around.

Comment

I haven't played an Artisan but I have played a Series One and didn't care for it. The Roadhouse is a PCB amp and formed part of Cornford's budget line. Little difference in price between the HT20 and the Roadhouse. The Artisan 30w combo is more than double the price of a Roadhouse.

Comment

I haven't played an Artisan but I have played a Series One and didn't care for it. The Roadhouse is a PCB amp and formed part of Cornford's budget line. Little difference in price between the HT20 and the Roadhouse. The Artisan 30w combo is more than double the price of a Roadhouse.
                        I'm curious about the setup and situation in which you tried the Series One. Which model was it and how did you have it dialed in? I mean, it's a good British/Marshall style amp with a nice clean channel. It doesn't sound generic so what's not to like about it?

Comment

I played the Artisan 30 without realizing how expensive it was, and it is still one of the best combos I've ever had the pleasure of playing through. It's a super high-quality, beautiful-sounding, vintage-style amp, and it has very, very little in common with the HT line at all. The value line is, well, not nearly as awesome. I have yet to play a Cornford, but I'm pretty sure I'd take it first.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                            I'm curious about the setup and situation in which you tried the Series One. Which model was it and how did you have it dialed in? I mean, it's a good British/Marshall style amp with a nice clean channel. It doesn't sound generic so what's not to like about it?
                            I played through two of the 60w combos. I had quite a bit of time with both of them. Not a bad amp by any means but it couldn't do what the Cornford excels at which is virtually any crunch sound you can think of plus the option of kicking in as much extra gain as you like for solos. The Blackstar had a slightly synthetic sound to it almost like a high quality modeller.

Comment

I played through two of the 60w combos. I had quite a bit of time with both of them. Not a bad amp by any means but it couldn't do what the Cornford excels at which is virtually any crunch sound you can think of plus the option of kicking in as much extra gain as you like for solos. The Blackstar had a slightly synthetic sound to it almost like a high quality modeller.
                              Those weren't the Series One then. Only the HT series has 60w combos, and yes, I would agree that there is some degree of synthetic tone in them... but I think it's in a good way. The Series One stuff is what I was talking about and they are all pure tube goodness.

Comment

Working...
                              X