My 1961 Vibrolux is here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1961 Vibrolux is here!

So, this guy arrived yesterday. I was expecting it to have a surprise or two for the "too good to be true" price I paid for it. It was supposed to be all original and such, but DID show up retolexed (I am convinced) and has a replacement power transformer (Original OT, luckily.). Other than that it has been serviced recently and plays and sounds like a dream. It has the original slip cover and the cab is still original and sounds huge with the original speaker. I actually LOVE the tone of the original speaker which is more than I can say for the original that came in my Princeton.

I absolutely love the tone of Brownface amps. I feel bad for my Vibrolux Reverb nowadays since I dont play her as much. I have just grown to appreciate cranked amp overdrive of Tweeds, Browns, Supros and the likes.

Anyways, enjoy:

Yesterday at work:

The cab is most certainly original and the tolex job was done right, but I don't think there is any way on earth the tolex is original. The Vibrolux is one year older than the Princeton and just look at the difference!

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: My 1961 Vibrolux is here!

Nice!

We need a shot now with all the other non-fender amps too!

NEW STUFF ROCKS!!!
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

That Tolex might actually be original. Just looking at the pic's compared to the Princeton, yeah the coloring is definitely a bit different....But The Handles are also slightly different, the Grill Cloth is slightly different, even the Chassis straps on the Vibrolux look to be a Bit less dirty...Could just be that the Vibrolux wasn't in as smokey of an enviroment, saw less sunlight, an over all just had a more "stay home" life...ya know? Or I could be totally wrong, haha...just a thought.

Either way, Nice score man! You've gotta record a clip an post it for us. I love the Harmonic Vibrato (trem) on those Brown Fenders.
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Good stuff!!
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Awesome. That's on my g/f's list of dream amps too. I'm sure we will have one some day.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Nice!

We need a shot now with all the other non-fender amps too!

NEW STUFF ROCKS!!!
            As soon as my Supro Thunderbolt gets back from it's 50 year check up I will.

Comment

That thing looks new. The gut shots and baffle shots prove otherwise....
              How's the cover look? I wonder if it lived it's entire life as a backup amp that never needed to be used and so stayed under a cover.
              Originally posted by Funkfingers
              Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Oh boy, I'd love to have one of those in my collection. If I had a whole lot more money, I'd spend money the way Mike Fuller (Fulltone) has.

Here are a few of the toys I've owned (and parted with) over the years. None of these items are for sale... please don't ask. Click on the photo to view as a gallery. Click on the title for more info or addt'l photos.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Wow, that's it..... WOW!

Comment

Awesome find
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

Very nice...How are the Astron caps holding up? Those caps usually go south when they're really old.
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        Oh boy, I'd love to have one of those in my collection. If I had a whole lot more money, I'd spend money the way Mike Fuller (Fulltone) has.

http://www.fulltone.com/galleries/mi...-photo-gallery
                        Yep.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I approve of the amp but you have got to get those orange drops out of there plus that amp needs to be put back to all carbon comp Allen Bradley's too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            I approve of the amp but you have got to get those orange drops out of there plus that amp needs to be put back to all carbon comp Allen Bradley's too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I hear ya bro. I paid just a little more for this guy than I did for the Princeton. I expected it to have some minor issues (to me), but overall the work it needs can be done by me at this point. Still it has no weird gremlins and will blow your face off with gorgeous Brown tones.

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent View Post
                              I hear ya bro. I paid just a little more for this guy than I did for the Princeton. I expected it to have some minor issues (to me), but overall the work it needs can be done by me at this point. Still it has no weird gremlins and will blow your face off with gorgeous Brown tones.
                              Getting it back to stock should be pretty easy as for the parts used in the maintenance I just take issues with orange drops in a vintage Fender...I'd drop some cash on caps closer to the Astrons and NOS A-B resisters can still be had pretty easily if you want to take it all the way back!

BTW, that tolex might very well be original.
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X