Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall gurus give me some guidance

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    FWIW, 99% (and maybe more) of everyone who covers "Louie Louie" plays the wrong chords. And on top of that, many – if not most – bands also play the wrong rhythm during the verses. If someone actually plays the song with the right chords and rhythms, I am truly impressed by their musicianship. Far moreso than someone who shreds someone else's solo note for note or some such ****.
    Cover versions

By some accounts "Louie Louie" is the world's most recorded rock song with over 1,600 versions and counting (with more appearing regularly on YouTube and elsewhere).[11]
    And nearly all wrong ?
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Marshall gurus give me some guidance

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
      And nearly all wrong ?
      Indeed, though I did not say "wrong" period. Just the wrong chords, meaning if you're comparing them to the original (or the Kingsmen's version, which is what most all those people actually covered). I'm not saying those versions don't deserve to exist, just that they change the chords.
      most

I'm also only talking about guitar players, because that's what the discussion is about. Keyboard players and horn players tend to get it right more often...but keyboard's and horns are nowhere near as common as guitars in cover versions.

It's been covered and performed by way more than 1,600 artists. Those 1,600 make up an extremely small fraction of everyone who's ever done it. Those are just known published covers. I would hope published artists would be more likely to catch the nuances of the original, though that isn't necessarily the case.

I have never seen anyone play it with the same chords as the original (or Kingsmen) - not one guitar player I've actually seen play it in person. "Power chord" versions get the closest, because they don't contain a glaringly wrong chord. But every single time I've seen anyone who plays full chords on it, they change the chords from the original, which to my ear changes the feel of the song significantly by either taking away or screwing with it's largest distinctive harmonic element.

It isn't that people are incapable of playing it with the original chords. It's no harder than playing it "wrong," technically speaking. It's just that often when we think something is super easy, we really don't bother to pay it enough detailed attention learn it properly.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-07-2015, 01:46 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

So what are the chords?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          So what are the chords?
          I-IV-V-IV.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            I-IV-V-IV.
            I thought he asked for the chords.. not the progression... why be obtuse?
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              I thought he asked for the chords.. not the progression... why be obtuse?
              I am not hearing anything cryptic here. It is I-IV-V-IV, how have people been playing this or Wild Thing wrong?

Comment

I am not hearing anything cryptic here. It is I-IV-V-IV, how have people been playing this or Wild Thing wrong?
                I sat down and strummed to that and.... it beats me. I dont hear anything weird either.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Imposing a I-IV-V is simple because it is 3 chords is moronic. Miles Davis' So What is two dorian chords that modulate a full step for texture and it is a masterpiece. Any "real" musician know it is not about the notes you play but what you do with the space between them. But I digress, lets watch a master play the "easy and practically impossible to screw up" Wild Thing.

Comment

I just posted a clip an hour ago on another forum for my forum bros.
                    Just noticed this - if you don't mind me asking, why are you posting your clips on another forum but never post them here?

Comment

• Re: Marshall gurus give me some guidance

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                      I sat down and strummed to that and.... it beats me. I dont hear anything weird either.
                      Maybe it's a tricky music theory trap.

Comment

The Kingsmen's version:

Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

The first R&B version that most of the rock-n-roll and garage versions are based on (if not the Kingsmen's cover):

]

And no, I'm not talking about the IV chord being a 7th in that version. ^^^ Though this guitar player does play what I'm talking about...maybe the only guitarist in history who has (exaggerating, of course, but not by much).

The Troggs version is one of the many "power chord" versions. Power chords don't necessarily clash with the chords in the above two versions. But unless there is another instrument playing the song's most distinctive harmonic feature (what I'm talking about), guitar power chords do take something away from the song's impact.

Additionally, many bands don't nail the difference between the chorus rhythm and the verse rhythm used in the two versions above. Again, not because it's technically difficult, but because they think it's such an easy song that they fail to actually hear and learn its nuances.

Why be obtuse? You all should be able to figure this out if you actually listen, instead of just sitting there thinking it's easy. It isn't anything elaborate or difficult to understand.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Man this thread took a different turn Securb I hope you got your questions answered about Marshalls. I actually like the simple old DSL if I was just gunna A/B box between a Fender for cleans and a Marshall for dirt. Many a touring player has done the Marshall/Fender thing and still do. Good luck on your search and let us know what you find out.

Comment

Jeremy and GearJoneser seem to be digging those Fat Cats. Pretty cheap right now.

Comment

The V is minor. Now you know the secret!

Comment

Working...
                                X