Marshall gurus give me some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marshall gurus give me some guidance

I've had an early model 800, a Dual Reverb 900, and a JMP MkII. I'd take the JMP or 800 for sure, although I have heard others get the good sound out of the 900 which eluded me.

I think that's a decent price for the 900. If 80s rock is your thing, it may float your boat, although I really think the early single channel 800s have a fuller, ballsier sound. But, as someone on another forum said, probably the only people that will notice are other guitar players, and who cares about them!

I'd be interested in how this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by philthis View Post
      Man this thread took a different turn Securb I hope you got your questions answered about Marshalls. I actually like the simple old DSL if I was just gunna A/B box between a Fender for cleans and a Marshall for dirt. Many a touring player has done the Marshall/Fender thing and still do. Good luck on your search and let us know what you find out.
      Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
      I've had an early model 800, a Dual Reverb 900, and a JMP MkII. I'd take the JMP or 800 for sure, although I have heard others get the good sound out of the 900 which eluded me.

I think that's a decent price for the 900. If 80s rock is your thing, it may float your boat, although I really think the early single channel 800s have a fuller, ballsier sound. But, as someone on another forum said, probably the only people that will notice are other guitar players, and who cares about them!

I'd be interested in how this works out.
      I ended up buying a JCM 2000 DSL for $650 with the cab. I am loving it. I feel like it has a lot of 800 and plexi DNA. Marshall suggests setting everything on 5 and working in your tone from there. I have not moved the eq from that setting. I have yet to plug a pedal in it, it sound so good on its own. Very responsive with every pickup I have played through it so far (SD WLHs, Fralin High Output/Pure PAF set and a set of Fralin Metal SHOs). I might break out the Carbon Copy in a bit and give that a run with the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        So, when do we get graced with a clip?

Let's hear it!
        Here you go I finally got around to recording a clip of the Marshall

Comment

New tubes arrived?

Or did we just get punked ?
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot View Post
            The V is minor. Now you know the secret!
            Finally. Thank you (though I missed it months ago when you posted it.)
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-14-2015, 07:13 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
              New tubes arrived?

Or did we just get punked ?
              No that is me through the Marshall a couple of weeks ago. That is obviously the clean channel. I figured since I had a clip of me playing the amp and certain parties were begging me to get a clip up I would do it.

Comment

The DSLs have a great clean channel, no doubt.

When you get those Mullards, lets hear some green crunch (my personal fave on the amp)
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I love that crunch channel that is where I spend 90% of my time. If I want to go high gain I just goose it a bit. I wish there was a way to switch from crunch to clean with a footswitch, I think that is the only flaw I can find in this amp. For now I just use a stomp, not a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                  X