Tung-Sol 12AX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tung-Sol 12AX7

Thoughts and tone comparisons of the Tung Sol 12AX7 to JJ, Chinese, and EH bottles?

TIA,

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Re: Tung-Sol 12AX7

Gain-wise, similar to the Shugang B, but a clearer, tighter, richer tone. Brighter/clearer than the JJ ECC83S. Haven't had an EHX in a awhile to try.

One of the best newer 12ax7s
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

My 2 favorite 12 ax7 tubes are the EH and the TS (current prod that is).

The Eh are a tiny bit warmer to my ears than the TS but both are awesome, it just depends on the application. You'd be hard pressed to tell one from the other outside of an AB test in the same amp done quickly.

Comment

clearer and chimier than jjs.
        Less midrange grind than EHs.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I use a TungSol in V1 of my Triple Recto, and it make things nice and smooth. I've tried them in a bunch of different amps, and it almost always really adds something in V1..

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Comment

What amp are they gong into, which power tubes does it have, and which cab/speakers are you running it through?

I ask because Tung-Sols have proven to be too bright on top for certain setups for me. They are a nice vibrant, clear, and bright tube, though.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Good V1 tubes!
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Fender EVH Striped Series
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
              Mogami cables

Comment

My preference new production tube, never had a chance to try NOS though. Great tone, bright but not harsh like the EHs I've tried, not buzzy like most of the Chinese ones I've tried. I've read that a lot of people have had premature failure and spotty Q/C with them, especially as cathode followers, but I've never had one fail in the nearly 10 years I've been using them, and that's in every position In the amp.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Currently using the standard 12ax7 in my Tubemiester, gold pin variant in my JCM 900 and MkV boogie. The Boogie also has Tung Solar EL34Bs, the Marshall has their 5881s, and my Hot Rod Deluxe has their 6L6GCs
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I think it's a great V1 tube, and I agree with almost everyone in the thread. I pair my V1 TS with a Chinese 12AX7 AC5 HG+, which fills out a bit more of the lows and low mids. I have had the TS fare pretty poorly in the PI position, though, as far as lifetime goes, and that's the only place I'll tolerate a JJ, and even then only a long-plate ECC 803S.

Comment

I like Tung-Sols and they're one of my favourite tube brands. I find them clear and lively.
                      There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I have a couple around, and I bought the 12AX7 sampler set (https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/T-12AX7-SET), and I have some NOS laying around.

My comparison point (holy grail) for the best V1 12AX7 for me (and I'm a classic rock/vintage guy, not a shredder, so take that into consideration) is an original International-branded Mullard 10M that I have. Given that as the grail, this is my list in order.

(This group is smooth and sounds closest to my Mullard 10M, the TAD sounds exactly like my Mullard 10M)
                        1. TAD Tube Amp Doctor 12AX7C-PS
                        2. Ruby 12AX7A-C5
                        3. JJ ECC803 long plate

(This group sounds pretty good, but starts to have brittle/piercing/bright top end for me)
                        4. Groove Tubes 12AX7C-GT
                        5. TungSol 12AX7
                        6. JJ 12AX7S-JJ
                        7. Mullard 12AX7/ECC83 (Russian reissue)
                        8. Electro Harmonix 12AX7-EH

(Right here they get harsh and almost unusable for me)
                        9. Shuagang 12AX7B
                        10. Sovtek 12AX7A-WB
                        11. Sovtek 12AX7A-WA

I tested these in a Marshall JCM900 / Marshall 1960AV; a custom, boutique, hand-wired JTM45 / Marshall 1960BX; and an Emery SuperBaby / Randall-Celestion 1/12; using a 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard

FWIW - interesting comparison chart of 12AX7 tubes

Comment

This IS a Gear Forum, but.....do not let 20 bux stop you from buying and trying.
                          Like with, speakers, strings, guitars, amps, pedals, etc etc .....it all changes with the application/situation.
                          Just be careful where you use it.....Cat Follower and Phase Inverter will usually exceed the Heater to Cathode rating of those tubes. LOTS of failures in V2 of the typical Bassman/Marshall circuit.
                          good luck
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                            My preference new production tube, never had a chance to try NOS though. Great tone, bright but not harsh like the EHs I've tried, not buzzy like most of the Chinese ones I've tried. I've read that a lot of people have had premature failure and spotty Q/C with them, especially as cathode followers, but I've never had one fail in the nearly 10 years I've been using them, and that's in every position In the amp.
                            I have had failures of the TS reissue in V1 of my Marshall Jubilee. Same failure mode as EH 12AX7s in V1 in the same amp. I use them in V1 of other amps with out problems but my Jubilee just kills em. I don't have any problems running NOS or even Chinese tubes in V1 of the Jubilees though. I currently run a NOS American Sylvania 12AX7. I also have an Siemens ECC83 that is a bit noisey but works and has great tone in the Jubilee.

I liked how the TC sounded, and I like how it sounds in my other amps, but they are not reliable in the Jubilee.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                              I have had failures of the TS reissue in V1 of my Marshall Jubilee. Same failure mode as EH 12AX7s in V1 in the same amp. I use them in V1 of other amps with out problems but my Jubilee just kills em. I don't have any problems running NOS or even Chinese tubes in V1 of the Jubilees though. I currently run a NOS American Sylvania 12AX7. I also have an Siemens ECC83 that is a bit noisey but works and has great tone in the Jubilee.

I liked how the TC sounded, and I like how it sounds in my other amps, but they are not reliable in the Jubilee.
                              I've never tried TSs in my 2555, but I've run EH 12AX7s since late 2001 and I've had great reliability except for a couple DOAs.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X