How to record with reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to record with reverb?

First off the track sounds really good. I tend to not get too concerned where reverb comes from as long as it sounds good. One trick I like doing is having both a mono guitar reverb (from an amp or a pedal) then also adding stereo reverb for a bit of natural space in the mix. Compression post recording can help bring the reverb levels up from your guitar track, I find you can go heavy on guitar compression with the right compressor in the mix without losing too much as guitars are already compressed and we are used to this sound. You can get some cheap mics that actually sound decent like some of the chinese made stuff (MXL and Apex ribbons come to mind) use it as a room mic and then compress that heavy just watch for phase issues.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

[QUOTE=dr.barlo;3771247]Hi guys,

I was sorta trying to get some reverb onto the following track:

The amp is a clone of a Dumble clone... Specifically, it's a clone of Brown Note's D'Lite 44 (with a Bassman tranny). We changed some of the parts, I really like it. It has tube driven reverb, hence, I call it Rev. Bumble. Anyways, when I was recording this, the reverb was huge. I felt like playing in an empty tank... I know that using 1 cab mic is not good enough for capturing genuine reverb, so I've used 2 mics (one on axis, the other around cone edge), panned them to hard right and left.

But still the track was too dry. So in order to get what I wanted I've added reverb with VST's, Antress' Modern Spacer. That's what you are hearing in the track...

Hence, I have a queston... Do I have to use a room mic? Condenser? They are expensive, I don't wanna go that route unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance.

B[/QUOTE

]"Try running the amp dry, with an SM57 set up close like normal, and a condenser mic in the room, setting it as far away as what it needs to sound best with the right amount of ambiance. I much prefer that to an amp's reverb."

See quote... This is the way to get the best results w/ options.

A sm57 close to the grill and a condenser 10 -12 feet back in the room to capture the room sound you are hearing. Pan dry track to one side and the room to the other. You can always add reverb or delay after the fact.
      This will give you a "big" sound...You can use any cheap condenser like an MXL or something similar. I have done this many times with great results. I work full time as a recording eng., have earned 2 Emmys....This method works.......

Alleecat

Comment

Cool! Thanks guys!

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

This will sound completely stupid, but it works.

An old friend of mine used to put a kick drum mic behind his open back combo, and a 57 in front. You just have to find the sweet spot for the kick drum mic. It was usually about 18-20" from the back of the amp.

Comment

Working...
          X