CAN AN UNGROUNDED SERVICE CAUSE UNWANTED AMP NOISE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN AN UNGROUNDED SERVICE CAUSE UNWANTED AMP NOISE

Hey guys has anyone else ran into this problem? i have been struggling to eliminate hum and hiss through my amps. i grounded on receptacle to my water pipe where it enters the house and my amps are almost dead silent now. and i dont get feedback with a single coil pickup anymore. i opened up my panel and it looks like all i have on my ground/nuetral buss is the nuetral from my line feed. i did find a small (maybe 8 gauge wire that is connected to a waterpipe in my basement, but the ground point for that wire is a good 30 to 40 feet after the water pipe leaves the ground? i am looking at driving a couple ground bars outside and running a 4 gauge bare wire to my ground/nuetral buss to ensure i have a good ground. oh yeah btw tested my receptacles and they all read ungrounded, even thought the have a ground wire.

Re: CAN AN UNGROUNDED SERVICE CAUSE UNWANTED AMP NOISE

Your power is not grounded?

Comment

Next time you take a shower, you'll be the ground! LOL
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Is your wiring copper?
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

doesn't look like I have a system ground. I figured back in the mid 70's it must have been acceptable to use a water pipe for a ground since all the pipes were copper, only problem is during renovations the copper pipe can be cut and spliced with pvc which breaks the ground. since I bought the house just a few years ago I have no idea if this was the case. I have a feeling it is though.
          as far as my wiring yes all solid copper. I have metal receptacle boxes, which will help with the ground.

Comment

Hire an electrician.

Seriously.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I like where this is going,

Comment

yep already spoke to an electrician he can get to me for a few weeks, but he is going to come and look it over to see if i overlooked it. if not he is going to drive 2 ground rods and get me hooked up. he explained that my ssytem should run off the nuetral from the line but may fulxuate up and down between 105 to 125 volts and that this could cause bad performance of electronics. the ground should be able to help stabilize the power a little bit more. i didi take my fluke and checked my receptacles and he is right i could not get a steady voltage the lowest i read was abotu 108 and it toped out at 128, but never stayed constant. i will keep you guys posted and let you know what the final result is. i hope this fixes it, cause before running a seperate ground wire to that one receptacle for my amp i have tried everything, i even bought a power conditioner that didnt seem to do anything.

Comment

If you ground to a water pipe your circuit breaker usually won't trip in case of a ground fault from a device plugged in . . . because the water pipe has several ohms of resistance. If there's any exposed piping between where you connected your ground and where the pipe exits the building someone could get shocked by touching it.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

guitarstv the ground that i connected is about 4" from where the water pipe enters my house which is under my stairs in a closet, so someone woudl really have to work to get to it, but the electrician that originally put my service in connected about 30 feet down the line and there is alot of exposed copper pipe. the electrician that i spoke with told me that the 8 gauge wire to the water pipe should be there to protect the water system not to be the service ground, and in the early 70's a service ground may not have been needed per code. he explained that an electrical line getis acroos the water main that feeds my branch line to my house then it will feed through the water lines since they are copper. he explained thats waht that small ground wire is probalby used for to send the electiricity to ground in that case.

Comment

Working...
                    X