banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

considering a 2 x 12 cab - build, used, new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering a 2 x 12 cab - build, used, new?

trying to figure out if I should go 2 x 12 again. they sound so full compared to a 1 x 12. I'd probably set it on it's end to make it a mini stack type of thing.

this seems like a well-built not-bad deal to me. I'm not versed enough in cabs to tell if it's a screaming deal type thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2515859...lpid=82&chn=ps
    whatcha think?

but, I could envision me building one this summer when I get a bit of time on my hands. I'm not the best with that kind of stuff but if I take my time maybe I could make it nice. I could get some sick tolex color too. aside from the speakers, what do the other materials typically add up to?

I'm not sure I could build it less than this one though, and maybe the speakers aren't that bad:
    The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

or I could go used, but I know if it doesn't have green or cream backs I'd want to switch the speakers out, and resale value on some junky speakers probably isn't that great.

thanks.
    Last edited by DankStar; 03-22-2015, 09:50 AM.

Re: considering a 2 x 12 cab - build, used, new?

Search out a Peavey MC212. It's a vertical, oversize cab. They have a half removable back, and one 8 ohm, or dual 16 ohm inputs. They came loaded with celestion G12-K85s and sound great.
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 03-23-2015, 02:59 AM.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I just bought a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS30 2x12 from Sweetwater, $300 shipped!!! It comes loaded with two Celestion Seventy/80's, rated for 160w, & they act. sound great! The cabinet alone is well worth the $300 EASY, very well built & lighter than you would expect form a cab this size! I swapped out the speakers with two Celestion Creambacks, I'm not 100% sure they really needed to be changed but??? Obviously it sounds better but I don't think it sounds almost $400 better??? I've always loved Celestion's Creamback speakers & I had the extra cash to spend on them so I figured why not??? If you decide to go this route you can also change the speakers out with some Greenbacks or anything else your heart desires!!! Before I bought it I was in almost the same boat as you, should I buy, build or get an empty cabinet & load it with whatever speakers I want? I went with the TS30 cab because it act. cost less than a lot of the empty's I found, the shipping KILLS you when dealing with these things, & it was loaded with some "good" speakers!!!! The free shipping was probably the best selling point though? Anyway, just a thought? I def. have absolutely no regrets, even if it still had stock speakers in in is was the right choice for me!!!

Comment

They did need to be changed. From what I've played and heard, Seventy 80s are the worst speakers Celestion makes. I hate to repeat myself here, but I think the only reason they're manufactured is so cab builders can slap a Celestion sticker on their product and charge a higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat o Tele View Post
          I just bought a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS30 2x12 from Sweetwater, $300 shipped!!! It comes loaded with two Celestion Seventy/80's, rated for 160w, & they act. sound great! The cabinet alone is well worth the $300 EASY, very well built & lighter than you would expect form a cab this size! I swapped out the speakers with two Celestion Creambacks, I'm not 100% sure they really needed to be changed but??? Obviously it sounds better but I don't think it sounds almost $400 better??? I've always loved Celestion's Creamback speakers & I had the extra cash to spend on them so I figured why not??? If you decide to go this route you can also change the speakers out with some Greenbacks or anything else your heart desires!!! Before I bought it I was in almost the same boat as you, should I buy, build or get an empty cabinet & load it with whatever speakers I want? I went with the TS30 cab because it act. cost less than a lot of the empty's I found, the shipping KILLS you when dealing with these things, & it was loaded with some "good" speakers!!!! The free shipping was probably the best selling point though? Anyway, just a thought? I def. have absolutely no regrets, even if it still had stock speakers in in is was the right choice for me!!!
          nice looking cab. I'm a cheapskate to some extent so I'd probably get the carvin and do a similar thing. save $50. I've had a couple of 70/80s (one by default in a combo and one by choice in a cab to compliment the combo). Not horrible but not much character to speak of.

Comment

I've seen some used Mesa 2x12 go for around these prices, a couple of Vertical angleds for 350-400 horizontal around 300-350. They're not creambacks, but it might be easier to sell V30's than 70/80s
            sigpic
            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
            X