Weber Amp Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Amp Kits

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Weber amp kits ... ever heard one or built one? I am wondering about the quality of the componenets compared to Mojotone or other kit suppliers.

To be more specific, my interest is in the 6L6 version of a Princeton Reverb.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Weber Amp Kits

I sort of have an EL-34 loaded Weber 6M45; my Dad built it, and I play through it occasionally when I visit. It sounds good enough, but there is a reason Weber kits are less expensive. I think the transformers were Heyboer, and the majority of the components were decent if not top of the line. The pots OTOH were junk; we had 3 of them fail within the first year. The knobs were also not great quality and two of the set screws stripped rather quickly. I'd also recommend ordering your kit without tubes as the included ones are cheap Chinese examples. They're fine if you want to play heavy metal, but there are better options for a Princeton or Plexi Marshall.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      To be more specific, my interest is in the 6L6 version of a Princeton Reverb.
      Would that be kind of like a single channel version of a Super or Pro Reverb?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Would that be kind of like a single channel version of a Super or Pro Reverb?
        It is a single channel, 30-35 Watts with 6L6s, reverb, and bias modulating tremolo.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I have that kit currently and am just finishing it. I downgraded the power to the 12w 6v6 version since i'm not playing in a band right now. It is exactly as Foamy stated. Pots and tubes are very cheap. You should also pickup a couple Jupiters or similar for your coupling caps to warm up your tone a bit. You can also ask for a different spaker and to have them break it in for you. You will come out ahead financially for a couple hundred bucks.

Comment

Im gonna keep a close eye on this thread. The 6l6 princeton looks like a killer amp.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

In general the Princeton Reverb is an interesting amp. I have been reading a lot about it since building the kit. It has an asymmetrical phase inverter such that one power tube breaks up before the other. This gives clean output from one tube and distortion from the other at the same time which si why people love the breakup so much from these amps. If you add a mid pot and pair it with a Celestion type speaker they sound a lot like and ac-30. A favorite configuration I've seen and heard is add mid pot, do stokes mode, 22watt output trannny and put in G12H-30. You get a light 22 watt handwired amp with vox like tones. You can check out the 6L6 30w version on you tube if you put in 6A14HP and a few should come up to listen too.

Comment

Mojo Music Supply have really good kits. Heyboer makes good iron and made in the US as well. I use them in my JTM45 amp as well as my blackface fendery stuff. I did a taste test with the Mercury's in the JTM and it was so close it didn't warrant raising the price of the amp to do Mercury.

Weber does give you a lot of options to take out parts from the kit that you wish to source elsewhere. I've not bought any of their kits, but I have bought cabs from them and overall good stuff.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've built two of their kits (8cm100 and 6h50, threads are around here somewhere). Both sound great.
                  Amazing value. Ok to good parts but for the price you can't beat the value imho. You have to know your stuff a bit since they don't come with instructions but if you're careful you'll be ok.
                  Also, if you go with one, join the weber forum: great place full of amazing and helpful guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X