No announcement yet.

How the @#$& do I choose new speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How the @#$& do I choose new speakers?

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    It is $93.75 total, including almost $14 shipping.
    So wait, $14 to ship a fully-assembled speaker - frame and magnet - from where to where? $14 shipping via anything other than the USPS would be cheap even if it was local. UPS charged $18 to ship one of my brother's prints in a tube roughly 100 miles.

And to the OP - where are the other 2 speakers from the 4x12? You took two out to put in a 2x12 cab, so that means the other 2 are still in the 4x12 cab?
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

I strongly suggest checking out the Eminence legends. I have found them to be the most universal speaker on the market. I have tried other speakers and they all seem voiced for a purpose. That purpose being what they do great and everything else is second best at best.
      The Legends are a wonderful Clean sounding speaker. You can get Fender Cleans that will make you choke up. They also allow you to hear what your amp can do on the drive channel. Push them all you want, they are powerful loud and very clear. You will find clarity in your notes that other spearers IMO do not have.

I played this game once and went right back to the Legends not because my speakers where trashed likes yours are but because I wanted to see if other speakers would sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        And to the OP - where are the other 2 speakers from the 4x12? You took two out to put in a 2x12 cab, so that means the other 2 are still in the 4x12 cab?
        Ha! I put the Peavy speakers into the 4x12 cabinet and sold it for more than I had in it back in 1988 or so. I wasn't joking when I said I've beat on these speakers for a long time.
        B2D: I seriously did consider your pair. I plan to talk to someone at Eminence soon and if they end up recommending those then you will be the first to know.

My option paralysis lessened once I stumbled across Eminence. Nothing but good reviews all over the place and made in USA. Now I just need them to tell me which exact flavor will hit the sweet spots for me.

I appreciate all the replies so far. It has been educational.

Comment

I've had really good experiences in the past with Eminence and Warehouse Guitar Speakers. Both are really well built, and not quite as pricey as Celestion. Celestion still makes some really good products, but if you're in the US I think the other two companies are usually a better deal. The clips on each companies site are really only useful for comparing different models across a single brand. Recording setup, signal chain and playing style are going to vary so much that they won't sound anything like that when you get them in your amp, but it gives you an idea of how each model compares.

Recently, I was looking for new WGS speakers to replace some V30s. I thought about what I wanted to change about the V30 cab, then compared WGS' V30 based model against the clips of the rest of their lineup. It's far from a perfect system, but it'll get you close. Also, if you absolutely hate the new speakers, WGS and some other companies will let you swap recently purchased speakers for a different model. I think you just have to pay return shipping on that.

Comment

You won't really know till you try them. Fortunately high-quality speakers are not too expensive to experiment with.

For "British" style speakers I'd suggest trying out the staple options: V30, G12T-75, G12H-30, Greenback .etc and then calibrate from there.

Comment

i recently bought a new cab, and it was tough deciding on speakers. from the few speakers I tried out I knew i wanted something greenback but with more bass. so I went with celestion creamback 65s. According to avatar speakers, vintage 30s and creamback 65s are by far the most popular speakers sold.

Comment

I've been really happy with the WGS ET-65/Veteran 60 combo in my 2×12. It works really well with my JCM900, Mesa MkV and Tubemiester 18. Its their equivalent to the Celestion G12M-65 and 60w V30 I find that they balance each other very well and can handle nearly every style of music and gain levels I've town at them (no super detuned modern death metal or anything like that).
                Last edited by allbutromeo; 03-29-2016, 01:21 PM.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

just my $.02 worth. I built a Marshall jtm 45 clone as a combo with 1x12 and the speaker I used is a celestion creamback 75 (they come in 65 and 75 watt versions). sounds amazing 4 everything from clean (well Marshall style clean) to raunchy distorted. ymmv

Comment

I have heard the Swamp Thang and Texas Heat speakers by Eminence paired together. Just absolutely devastating from clean to the utmost high gain and everything in between.

Comment

Working...
                    X