Talk to me about 15" guitar speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about 15" guitar speakers.

For some reason, I have a wild hair up my butt to build a 115 cab. I'm looking at the Eminence Big Ben. Or maybe, a Legend 1518. I suspect a 15 incher might be a bit smoother and more mellow because of the higher mass cone. So who uses 15" speakers? Thoughts?

Artie

P.S. Closed or open back cab?

Re: Talk to me about 15" guitar speakers.

Several jazz and rock guys here in town are fond of 15's and they use EV's. They all mention the added punch they get from moving that air, with no loss of trebles. When you think about it, pedal steel players use 15's almost exclusively, and they usually feature crystal clear trebles.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that the Legend version specifically mentions pedal guitar usage.

Comment

I would like to build a closed back cab for a 15 to use as an extension speaker for a combo with an open back 12.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Gonna get yer Dimebag on,Artie?
          "Scalloped & Stickered"
          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Actually . . . I was thinking more bluesy/Jazzy. But I'll keep my 5150 pedal in reserve.

Comment

I am a huge fan. I use my 15 by itself for every style of music. I also used it for a while with the metal band. It sounded great side-by-side with my 4x12, but I stopped using because I didn't want my live rig to be too complex. I would love to use it in a club if I had roadies. I use a Celestion G15V-100 Fullback 15 in a convertible tweed cab. It can go open or closed back. Open it throws around a lot of bass. Right now the 1x15 is my go to and favorite cab for playing around the house.

Gear Review: Celestion G15V-100 Fullback 15 Inch Guitar Speaker

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                  Gonna get yer Dimebag on,Artie?
                  I read this as
                  "Gonna get your Dimebag back Artie"
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    Suweet! That's the basic vibe I'm going for.

Comment

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Fan of 10's live personally....
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a Big Ben in a Carvin 1x15 bass cab. Killer dark tone. Sounds awesome with my Orange OR15.

Though, in this pic the bass speaker was in for recording.

Comment

I have a a fullback 15 as well. Tried a few others but the fullback stood out. Nice clean tones and when pushed reminds me of a greenback.

Sometimes I run my 1974 Marshall 50 watt head with it into an open back cabinet. It handles it no problem. I think they are a 100 watt speaker. I dont know if there are any Peavey amp users here but the fullback is going to soon come stock with the Delta Blues amp.

Comment

Talk to me about 15" guitar speakers.

The first 15" I had was in my UK 1995/6 Marshall JTM615 (open back) and I loved the sound, especially with my main guitar of the time, a Strat.

Since I moved to the US, I have had a series of combos with 12" - Budda Verbmaster, Mesa TransAtlantic, Vox AC30, Mesa Rectoverb, and now my custom Whitney Monkey (essentially an AC15 on steroids). For me, it's Alnico 12" all the way.

Along the way, though, I tried my combos using the Marshall as an extension cab and the combination was REALLY good, reminding me how much I liked the sound of that speaker, so I built my own 15" extension cab to the same dimensions as the Marshall (thin, only about an inch deeper than the speaker, open back). I went with the Eminence Big Ben 15" and have no regrets - it's a great sounding speaker, and complements my 12's very nicely.

In fact, I liked it so much that when I designed the Monkey with Whit, I opted for the Eminence Alnico 12" which is a fearsome unit - so efficient, it lets all the amp shine through. Paired up, the 15 and 12 are a wall of tone!

I definitely think it's worth having a 15" speaker as an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X