Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest a rack all tube setup

Hey,

I own an Kemper and i really like it, but i just miss the feel of real tube amp in my setup but i dont want to lose the portability and versatility.

What i need :
    at least 40 watts of all tube amplification
    I play metal and like something that sounds close to Children of Bodom but not really into marshals to much, i also love engl, friedman sound.
    tuner and power conditioner in one slot (already have)
    possible effects unit max 1 space, would like to include this into the amp if possible
    All midi setup is absolute necessary !

I kinda like the hughes & kettner tubemeister deluxe 40, the midi function the effects i need already in, not really using effect but like to have some simple selection.

I just love Racks, i wont have pedal board or anything like that.

So i am looking for an ideal rack setup for me that i can fund from the kemper power head that i already own.
    The problem for me is that i would like to have something that is not really heavy and can be carried easily.

I see something like :

1 slot wireless plus power conditioner (already have)
    2 tuner (already have)
    3-6 Slot and amp head in rack version with effects all midi with an option for cabinet simulated output for live playing
    possible putting normal head into 19 rack 3 space if possible but i need that at least 40 watts

or
    1 slot wireless plus power conditioner (already have)
    2 tuner (already have)
    3 preamp all tube
    4-6 power amp all tube

I dont need an stereo all tube power amp and i would rather save some pounds of weight to have mono setup.

Please suggest a good setup that could fit my needs.

Re: Suggest a rack all tube setup

Mesa is what came to my mind. They have a couple different racked rectifiers.

I was in a band with a guy that used a Tri-Axis with their tube power amp also. Basically had every Mesa ever made in a rack.

But they are not light. I don't know of any tube amps that are light to carry, unless they are single-ended low power.

Comment

If money isn't a problem, I'd go with a KSR Artemis.
      3.5 channel, 100W, rack-mount, multi-mode guitar amplifier.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        If money isn't a problem, I'd go with a KSR Artemis.
        http://www.rhodesamplification.com/p...ifiers/artemis
        That one is 40 pounds, to heavy for me

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
          That one is 40 pounds, to heavy for me
          Well, good luck. Transformers are heavy.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I'd build the ultimate rack with tubes- money not a concern. Then, clone it with the Kemper and send everything back.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think for what I do 40watts will be enough, there are tube amps with 40 Watts that weights 16 pounds and play awesome like the grandmeister 40 deluxe for example.

So looking for something similar that can fit into 19 rack if possible and has midi

Comment

If it was me, I'd do the Mesa Triaxis and Simul-Class Stereo 2:90 in a heartbeat, although for power, the Stereo 50:50 would meet your stated needs. May be possible to find the older Mesa Quad preamp + Stereo 295 cheaper than the Triaxis setup, and it will still deliver tone heaven.

One day I will have one of these along with a G-Major or similar for effects, although it is totally redundant for me. It's just something I want....
                Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                Marshall JVM410H
                Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

I have had triaxis and to be honest, I loved the clean channels, did not like the others at all, but that was maybe more about running it trough Marshall el34 50/50

Comment

So I find that most of the tube feel and sound comes from the power amp. So if I were you, I'd sell or trade the Kemper Powerrack for the regular Kemper (or an Axe FX or even a Line 6 Helix) and then get a good tube power amp, like the one from Carvin and use that as the power amp section. That Carvin sounds great and costs a few hundred dollars compared to the Mesa power amps.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Mesa's new Triple Crown amp is available in a rack format, it has midi switching and cab simulation. That and a G Major will do whatever you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
                        Mesa's new Triple Crown amp is available in a rack format, it has midi switching and cab simulation. That and a G Major will do whatever you need.
                        Let me check that one out ! I have heard only good things about the triple crown

Comment

I'd say an old ADA MP-1 preamp, Digitech TSR-12 for effects, and whatever power amp "flavor" floats your boat, because for rackmount and all tube it's either going to be Marshall, Carvin, or Mesa. Has Fender done a rackmount power amp?

And an ART X-15 Ultrafoot to control it all.
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

I've never used anything as satisfying as the Triaxis. The heart of my tone for nearly 25 years; nothing else even comes close.

You just need to recognize that the controls interact differently in each mode, and the Presence control performs a completely different function from knobs with the same name in other equipment. It seems to work backwards until you realize that it responds to playing dynamics: set low, the basic tone becomes bright but gets darker when you play hard. Set high, the basic tone is darker but gets brighter when you play hard. Definitely takes some getting used to! I always say they would've done better to label this control Dynamic Voice (the one that is labeled Dynamic Voice is actually a version of the classic Boogie 5-band EQ). Weird and counterintuitive, but Mesa amps have always had a learning curve compared to conventional designs.

I run mine with a Mesa 20:20 power amp these days- one rack space, and lightweight for all-tube power. The 20:20 has a somewhat vintage small-amp feel though; if you need dead clean at gig volume (or big attack with lots of punch) you might want a bit more wattage.

In a pinch, I could get by with a three space rack: just Triaxis, 20:20 and the Lexicon. I'd dearly miss the eight voice chorus in my Intellifex, along with one or two other odds & ends. But I could live without them if I had to.
                            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 02-06-2017, 02:09 AM.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Engl is way to go, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X