Suggest a rack all tube setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggest a rack all tube setup

If you want an all tube rack it's going to be heavy. My power amp in my rack is an easy 30lbs on it's own.

Also, I know you say you just 'love racks' but is that the only reason why you are doing this and not looking at heads like the tubemeister etc?

If I were you:

-Sell the kemper power head (And assuming you like the tone's) just use that money to buy a racked kemper and buy a tube power amp to go with it
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
      So I find that most of the tube feel and sound comes from the power amp. So if I were you, I'd sell or trade the Kemper Powerrack for the regular Kemper (or an Axe FX or even a Line 6 Helix) and then get a good tube power amp, like the one from Carvin and use that as the power amp section. That Carvin sounds great and costs a few hundred dollars compared to the Mesa power amps.
      Very good point. My Helix came to life when I started running it through the Peavey Classic Series 50/50 I bought for it. Or at least when I figured out that I needed to push the front end with the Helix's volume knob. It sounds good enough that I've considered selling off some amps.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
        If you want an all tube rack it's going to be heavy. My power amp in my rack is an easy 30lbs on it's own.

Also, I know you say you just 'love racks' but is that the only reason why you are doing this and not looking at heads like the tubemeister etc?

If I were you:

-Sell the kemper power head (And assuming you like the tone's) just use that money to buy a racked kemper and buy a tube power amp to go with it

I already have the Kemper rack version, I tried to put the Kemper trough Marshall el 34 50/50, it was definitely better but still not even close to the Friedman amp I have. Maybe I am the only one, but I really hear and feel the difference.

I think I will probably go with the mesa tc50 in rack.

For triaxis, this extremely depends on the unit you have, mine sounded like **** (even changed the tubes), but I have heard different unit and it was way better.

That's the reason I always buy tube amps new, the transformers are not yet fried, since nobody used it in a bad way (incorrect impedance, no load etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
          I already have the Kemper rack version, I tried to put the Kemper trough Marshall el 34 50/50, it was definitely better but still not even close to the Friedman amp I have. Maybe I am the only one, but I really hear and feel the difference.

I think I will probably go with the mesa tc50 in rack.

For triaxis, this extremely depends on the unit you have, mine sounded like **** (even changed the tubes), but I have heard different unit and it was way better.

That's the reason I always buy tube amps new, the transformers are not yet fried, since nobody used it in a bad way (incorrect impedance, no load etc)
          As Gone Shooting has said you have to crank the volume of the preamp to get a good tube saturation. Just like cranking the preamp in a tube amp. If you try to use the preamp at 3 or 4 and then get all the power from your power amp, you might get a good sound but it won't have any of that pushed tube feel that you want.
          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
          X