Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bray or Friedman for van halen ?

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    Assuming "corect" everything elsem..no doubt I would take a Bray any day of the week over a Friedman. No matter if it was EVH tone or anything else. And I'd look at metropolous too. That metroplex is insane.

Bogner Helios/Ecstasy.

PRS HX/DA if you want "unmodded" plexi tones.
    Also remember that Eddie's Marshall had no INTERNAL mods. Part of his sound was 6CA7s and (at least I think) long-plate 12AX7s, part was the resistive load, part was the Variac, and part was the Echoplex preamp.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Comment

Old old g12ms have alot of breakup that really juices the high end/mids and adds overall distortion. Those speakers are at least as important as his amp was.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
        Save some money and buy a Landry LS100G3:

Here's a quick video featuring my 3x12 cab loaded with Celestion Creamback M speakers, and my G3 with some new Sozo Nexgen capacitors. I recorded it with a Z...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97ry-fEZ5c
        Never heard of that one before.. NOW, I WANT one!! Wow! Supposed to deliver on the cleans too AND most importantly can deliver the tone at lower levels!! Sweet
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The Friedman, Bogner, Landry type amps have more preamp gain on tap, so of course they can be run lower in volume, compared to more traditional boutique plexis.

The truth of this subject is that your musical skill in copping VH's songs, solos, and style outweighs anything gearwise.

You'd be better off spending a few years studying VH, using any superstrat into any gainy Marshall amp.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm not familiar with Bray amps, but having played a few Friedmans, I can say they're definitely not "one thing". They encompass a few flavors, from vintage Plexi all the way up to high gain.

VH tone really is in the hands. You just need gear that will get you in the neighborhood. I'm not even chasing VH tones, but I found them so ridiculously easy to get with some Marshall-in-a-box pedals - the Bogner La Grange, Carl Martin Plexitone (original), the Friedman BE-OD - that the challenge was no longer interesting. With the La Grange, it was literally the first tone I dialed in out of the box. Five seconds, VH tone... have a laugh with some VH riffs, then move on to trying to find *my* tone.

Comment

Really wanted the La Grange when they were announced I had the red and blue but moved on from pedals and totally happy with my DSL it kills and my new EVH guitar sounds great. Its not a plexi but gets the tones easy and I dont have 2,000 to spend
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Fender EVH Striped Series
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
              Mogami cables

Comment

I've owned all the amps mentioned and by far my BE100 covers EVH to Led Zeppelin to about any band using moddded or non modded Marshall. I have the newer BE with the four mini-switch on the front of the amp (gain-structure), it was also modified by Dave (Friedman) for me, all the channels so it does sound different than the production model. Still if you dial in the production model sounds awesome! I also own Bogner 100b/101b/Shiva, CAA PT100, VHT Pittbull, Soldano SLO. All in all the BE100 is an amazing amp.
                Last edited by mantrasky; 02-12-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X